Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Jeep has a long crank issue and I can only get it to start when I press the gas. I have had the fuel pump replaced twice in the last three months. Most recently 2 days ago. At that time the car would not start at all, regardless of what I tried. I towed it to the shop and I was advised that the check valve and the fuel sending unit were bad and the fuel pump was replaced with a non cheap Chinese part. Initially it started up when I picked it up from the shop, but now it's back to the long crank. It will start right up immediately after the car is turned off. The mechanic explained something about the pump not wanting to prime for very long.

Basically I am trying to figure out what to test or how if I can, or some ideas on what else may be causing this. Or if my process for starting the car is wrong and I should not be stepping on the gas. (Worried that caused the issue with the first pump) I'm a novice at car repairs but I can usually figure things out if pointed in the right direction.

· Registered
128 Posts
My '95 ZJ seems to have issues not that much different from yours. I turn the key to ON and wait for the "click", then crank. It starts every time that way. If I just put the key in and go immediately to CRANK, sometimes it won't start. Give that a try.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My '95 ZJ seems to have issues not that much different from yours. I turn the key to ON and wait for the "click", then crank. It starts every time that way. If I just put the key in and go immediately to CRANK, sometimes it won't start. Give that a try.

Thanks I tried that and it didn't work. But now the car is not starting at all. Cranks, but no start. Going to take it back to the shop

1 - 3 of 3 Posts