Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I own a 1989 Jeep wrangler. I bought it about a year ago. It was already burning oil and had low compression. So I pulled the engine apart to swap out the rings and rod bearings. I come to find out the little four-banger has been bored 40 over. I've never had to deal with finding rings that aren't stock. So if any could help me out with things like Where to find rings? Is there anything specific I need to know about the ring size? and is there any other information I need to know about the engine or the rings or the pistons?

Edit: I have ordered the rings from Summit and they should be in This week.

· Registered
11,031 Posts
Same place as you buy standard rings.
Have you checked the bores for wear and taper?

· Premium Member
7,550 Posts
Yea, wherever you got the standard rings can also get you oversized rings. You just need to tell them how oversized you need.
And if the cylinders have been bored, there's a pretty good chance the crankshaft has been machined as well. Check the old bearings for markings indicating if they're oversized and be sure to plastigage the new ones.
I'd at least plastigage the mains too, while you have it apart. The oil pressure drop could easily be from those.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, wherever you got the standard rings can also get you oversized rings. You just need to tell them how oversized you need.
And if the cylinders have been bored, there's a pretty good chance the crankshaft has been machined as well. Check the old bearings for markings indicating if they're oversized and be sure to plastigage the new ones.
I'd at least plastigage the mains too, while you have it apart. The oil pressure drop could easily be from those.
The bearings have .020 on them. I believe this means they are not Standard. Also when you say tell them how oversized I need would I tell them how much it's been bored. (.040)

· Premium Member
7,550 Posts
Yep, those are not standard bearings. The crank has been turned. .020" is how oversized those bearing are. Stock ones will not work at all.
And yes, telling them how much the cylinders have been bored is what the parts supplier will need to know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.