Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Tuesday folks! I have an '84 CJ7 that I acquired a while back. When I bought it, previous owner gave me some extra bucket seats he claimed were original. Well I recently broke one of the absolute crap aftermarket seats he installed in the CJ, so I decided to throw the 'original' seats back in. After doing so, I realized I liked the cut of their jib and decided I wanted to reupholster them in original color and get some new carpeting. So I checked the trim code and came here to decipher it: 6BA. Almond color, vinyl seats. The pictures on the 'Let's make a trim code picture database' do not list seat style B. The 'original' buckets the previous owner left me are high back and appear to be honey. The back seat is some black vinyl thing of now questionable lineage. So, finally, here's my questions:

-Does anybody know why my VIN plate would say 6BA if that seat style wasn't available? The pics on the trim code database show '83 and '85 with B being low backs. '84 does not have code B.

-Is it plausible (anything is possible) that the seats were swapped by the dealer? My thought is no if they are, indeed, honey and the rest of the trim was originally almond.

-Does anybody have a picture of what 'Almond' colored interior looks like? I have yet to find anything helpful on the interwebs.

-And finally, does anybody have a picture of an actual rear seat, possibly showing the brackets, so I can figure what this thing I have belongs to?

I'd post a picture of the seat, but apparently I'm still a boot. Thanks folks!

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
6BA in 1984 was a low back bucket recliner. Listed in the Jeep parts book for 1984. If you have high back, they are not original to the factory, if you believe the factory stuck to the book.

Now code 6 was Beige Linen finish vinyl in 1983 and Almond in 1984, so you may have Almonds seats from the factory, but they are not demonstrably those.

Not saying the dealer did not fit them, those dealers got up to all sorts of things to sell tin.

In 1984 you should have had a fixed rear seat, also in Almond linen vinyl. You can tell the CJ7 seat rom it having two big brackets on front and a long Z bar at the back, full width. The 1985 fold and tumble seat as also fitted to Wranglers is a vastly better design.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are a wealth of knowledge. Thank you. My rear seat's brackets certainly don't look like that. After researching I didn't think the high backs were originals either. Oh well, they'll still look good! Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts