Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting started, Picked her up 3 days ago from the PO who had parked it at his garage because his new wife did not like it in 2007. Now I get to figure out what all is wrong with it and fix all sorts of issues with it. This will be the story of Copper. You know there is a bit of work ahead if you bring em home on a trailer.lol
I got her registered with the state so the title is good but no tags till I can put her on the road.

So what do I have, a 1984 jeep j10 with a laredo package, 360 v8, 727 auto trans, a (?) transfer case and a 3.31 gears in the axles and 3 tires that go down in a 2 day period, no battery, blackberry vines. a front grill from a 66 jeep (razor grill). 2 trash cans full of garbage. VArious parts that has been bought and tossed in the cab.
The good news is NO rust in the body. I am amazed that there is no body rot, some surface rust a couple of little dings here and there but all in all not in to bad of shape for 39 years old.

I will post some pictures and ask for advice as time goes along. I do plan on putting this back on the road as a daily driver and only with a few modifacations that is needed to make her run a bit better. MOds will be limited to a very short lift, bigger tires (32"), a new exhaust system and what it takes to make the 360 run better.

Some things that need to be done is get the tailgate to drop down, the dirvers window need to roll down, passenger door needs to open, engine start, lights to work, wheel roll freely, fix some oil leaks, replace the steering stabbilzer, New carpet and bucket seat needs recovered, basic interior needs fluffed and buffed. I guess the easy way to put it, start at the front bumper and end at the reat bumper and leave nothing untouched.
So here ar e the first of the pictures and we will go from there. Oh yes, I forgot one thing, I am 70. let the fun begin.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Sky
Motor vehicle Wood Pollution Twig Gas
Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Steering wheel Yellow
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

· Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
yesterday I started cleaning stuff up;
Drivers door window did not want to roll down. took the window mechanisim off the door and foulnd that it would move up but not in the down positon. Drilled out the poprivits and sosocked it in penatrating oil for a day adn found that there is a toggle (?) in the gear mechanism that allow the crank to go up and down with some friction. after a little cleaning and getting the corrosion gone it all worked fine. Was time comsuming but the window rolls up and down now with no problem, I also need to find a place to buy new rubber seals for the window and some way to weld the crack up in the door panel at the wing window.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Window Car Vehicle door

in the picture you can just barley see the crack but it allows for a 1/4 in gap in that are between the outter skin of the door and the window. Just another small repair.

I have some surface rust at the bottom of the door that i wire brushed a bit and put some anti-rush paint on it from Duplo hoping that will help slow htat down.
Reptile Wood Scaled reptile Twig Natural material

· Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I pulled the front head lights and turn signals from the front of the j10. There was a lot of dirt behind the sheet metal but after cleaning it all out I found a treasure trove where stuff had falling down over the years. LOl.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Automotive exterior
Wood Gas Auto part Tool Hand tool

I did not know that I had an extra set of keys and a batch of tools stashed there.

· Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Started with the front wheels off to check the brakes and rotors and bearing and u-joints. Had to clear out some blackberry briars first. No problem with bearing, grease looked good and the u-joints moved free. So that was good but when it came to the brakes the calipers were frozen so they will be replaced and the pads looked ok but I am going to replace them anyway. Rotors looked ok but I think I will have NAPA just turn then to clean up the face of the rotors. Brakes are one of those things that you don't want to go cheap on, Run she may but Stop she must.
Automotive tire Vehicle brake Wheel Motor vehicle Wood

· Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My next few tasks will be:
Removing the fuel tank and cleaning it out
Removing the Smog equipment on the AMC 360.
Trying to fix the oil dipstick, it has been broke of at the engine block.

Any suggestions on where to go with this?

· Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What kind if running condition is it in?

It looks like a great project!
body wise, it has a few minor dings in it, interior wize it needs a complete go over, Been sitting since 08 or so and the engine is suppose to be good, has oil leaks and the 727 has been overhauled in o7. with only a few miles on it. Everything has some coorsosion on it due to sitting. I am having to take every thing apart to make sure everything turns like it is suppose to. including the window crank mechanism. hahha. getting new caliper and wheel cyilinders for it next, going ot replace the fuel pump, as well as the water pump., repack the wheel bearing, change "all" the fluids including P/S, brake, diff's, and transfercase needs a new steering stabizer and shocks. I might go into a short lift, less then 3". In other words Starting at the Front and ending in the back. My biggest issue will be the wiring due to the corrosion. Head light switch will not pull out. and get a new battery.
one of the things I would like to do is get the wheels cleaned up and some good MT put on her. All simple stuff right.

· Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Today I got after the engine, started by pulling the smog stuff off, which lead to removing the power steering pump to get to the fuel pump. which lead to pulling the water pump as well as the thermostat housing and the radiator to get the "JUNK" cleared out. There was some pretty nasty stuff hanging around. The belts were rusted to the pulleys which was interesting so they will need to be replaced as well as the water hoses for the radiator. Tomorrow I will back flush the radiator to see what Junk I can get out of it.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Vehicle Automotive wheel system
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Scrap Waste

There sems to be a look of old oil residue on the engine and the timing chain has a bit of sloop in it. I would take care of this now but I want to see this engine run before I open it up and see if it needs to be overhauled or just buy a rebuilt engine for it at a later time.

A coouple of question I am wrestling with:
1. how do I get the original Aluminum wheel cleaned up before I put tires on them?
2. PO put a 68 grill on this and I am thinking I want to put the original grill on it. Not sure where to look.
3. Getting the gas tank down and getting it all cleaned up? best course of action there?
4. replace the oil dipstick.?

· Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Been a few days, got some of the front of engine back together, new fuel pump and water pump. That was a puzzle to put togther, to replace the fuel pump, the power steering pump had to be removed completely. If I have to replace th fuel pump again on a 360 v8, it will be with an electric pump. there is only 1/16th" for clearance between the fuel pump and hte head for the back bracket for the P/S pump to fit into, you also have to remove the front bracket completley loose by the 2 nuts that hold the tightness for the belt so that bracket will fit backinplace for the bolt that holds the water pump in place. I bet the engineers were chucking over this. a mechanic's nightmare.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Vehicle Automotive wheel system

I have moved on to the rear axle. drained the oil out of the pumpkin, pretty thik and had some chunks in the bottom. found a bolt missing from the ring gear. not sure how long it has been gone so I am going to drive it until it is a major issue then have the entire rear axle replace/repaired.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Machine
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Alloy wheel Rim

I also replace the wheel cylinder and brake shoes and one drum. So now the ole girl will at least stop. While looking at the axle I found an old airbag and the ole girl has two sets of helper springs. I am sure she will ride pretty rough. I am thinking I will remove on set anyway.
Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Locking hubs Rim

Automotive tire Wheel Tread Tire Automotive wheel system
Wood Insect Gas Larva Tree

What weight of gear oil should I put back in the rear axle. I am thinking 75/120 but with the damage that was done by the loose bolt, I am almost thinking of going heavier. What do you think?

· Registered
16 Posts
That is cool project sir. For the rims easy off oven cleaner, let them sit for 5 min or so and a power washer will amaze you! For real stained rims sometimes a stiff scrub brush before rinsing off. Definitely do it outside though the fumes are pretty bad. Dipstick is not to bad but I did do mine while motor was out so probably a little trickier in tight quarters. Mine was so sloppy it just pulled out, put a tiny amount of sealer and was able to just tap new one in pretty easily.

· Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is cool project sir. For the rims easy off oven cleaner, let them sit for 5 min or so and a power washer will amaze you! For real stained rims sometimes a stiff scrub brush before rinsing off. Definitely do it outside though the fumes are pretty bad. Dipstick is not to bad but I did do mine while motor was out so probably a little trickier in tight quarters. Mine was so sloppy it just pulled out, put a tiny amount of sealer and was able to just tap new one in pretty easily.
PO tried to use jb weld and sloped it around adn made a messw. now I got to figure out how to get that off and then fix it right

· Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got some more done today, drained the oil out of the front diff. Oil was pretty thick and clean but it had a forest green tint to it. No chunks or siler was in the oil. but the inside was black when you rub it. but this has been sitting since 07 and I am sure this is the first time it has been opened up. If I am right in my reading of the tab it has a 3.31 gear ratio.

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Rim

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Helmet Bumper Font

Wood Font Rectangle Hardwood Office ruler

· Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I also pulled the carb today and was expecting the worse. I was totally surprised by how clean it was. a bit of residue was left behind and with some carb cleaner it looked really god. I asked a guy about it the used to rebuild carbs and he said he would button it up with a new gasket and drive it. it will be just fine. this is the picture of it right after I opened it up.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Automotive wheel system

· Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Started with the dash today. just open her up to see what kind of corrosion is going on. I may have a problem with the air control. going to be fun to salvage this. any idea?
Crankset Automotive tire Vehicle brake Bicycle part Bicycle chain

Wood Gas Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Metal
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Vehicle

You see what I am up against on this. Not sure where to start. I have seen a process where you use baking soda for a in other words sand blasting. It eats away the dirt and corrosion but not the metal. I seen it once done on a motorcycle carb and the like.

But I am open to any suggestions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts