Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 84 GW has the one year only T-case with clutches. It sucks. I think it was their attempt at shift on the fly. I read here sometime ago about swapping an earlier NP???

·
Registered
17,695 Posts
Pretty sure that there were no one year tcases offered in FSJs in the 1980s. It sounds like you have the NP229 Selec-Trac, which was 83-86.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Have you looked underneath? The transfer case came with a big red circular tag that tells you which model it is.

I have the NP208 in my J20 that is extremely simple to use, slick in action and tough, but it is not a permanent 4WD, just selectable. Depending on transmission etc you may be able to fit one of these or the later NP cases, NP228 and NP229. The NP229 was in the Grand Waggie in those years, so you may find you actually have this and not the NP219.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I know this is a few months old, but just picked up an '84 Grand Wagoneer, and looking for a TSM or any pdf upload files I can find for reference.

Anyone have info they could share via email etc, as I will buy a Chiltons or Hayes manual, but wanted deeper information to work on the truck with.

Oljeep.com did not have what I hoped it would, so need to reach further to find something. Thanks

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Does oljeep still have the 1984 parts manual? it covers CJs and FSJs and XJ Cherokees.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I do not find it there, but did upload what they had for 1982 model.

Also got really lucky, and found a TSM in all the extra stuff that came with the truck, so do have that now for the 1984 year.

In addition, there are some other manuals the PO had in the box, which look like they will be helpful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts