Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there is a metal strip attached to the hard top leading edge and held in place with pop rivets. My concern is the position of the strip. There is a bend in the strip running full length and the question is which way does that angle face? to the front or rear of the hardtop? I had taken a pic of it when I removed it a long time ago and I cant tell from the pic if bent portion faces the rear or the front of the top. It can be installed either way. Any ideas? See pics. thanks Mike

Electrical wiring Bumper Line Gas Automotive exterior

Gesture Finger Audio equipment Thumb Auto part
Automotive lighting Gesture Hood Finger Gas

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you Axhammer. But while I have you help me understand about the rubber "endcap" and when installed on the top in and on all the nooks and crannies and then removing the protective strip that covers the adhesive which then sticks to the w/s frame when top is installed. I assume then when removing the top it pulls the endcap off the hardtop. What do you do the next time you put on the top? What's up with that? or as usual am I missing something? Thanks Mike

Automotive tire Wood Bumper Material property Table

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rubber end cap should stay glued/mounted to hardtop (is this a YJ hardtop?) No other sealant should be present ot needed.

Hoss
according to an earlier thread of mine in response to being a correct 82 CJ7 hardtop or not I was told "That’s an OEM hardtop, it’s the later composition plastic, I forget what they called it, but it has the seams, and is much lighter than the first version hardtop that was much heavier, and seamless". So that tell me it is correct for 82 CJ7. When I ordered the seals the listing verified it fits CJ and YJ's. I am just guessing I dont know how to install them cause it looks to me when I mock it up that the adhesive will attach to the frame. So something is wrong and probably me. Back to drawing board? does anyone have a pic with those end caps in place on a hardtop? Thanks again, Mike

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 1986 CJ-7 that I bought new didn’t have those end seals. It didn’t have any seals.

When I put my early style hardtop on my 1985 CJ-7 I don’t use any type of seal or weather stripping. I set it in place, bolt down 8 tub bolts and five windshield frame screws.

Those corner (end seals) seals are YJ seals.
Well you guys made my life a whole lot simpler. That explains why there wasnt any when I got the Jeep. No end cap seals for me and my CJ. THANKS to all, Mike

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I doubt you will ever have a water leak at the hardtop/windshield frame interface. The way it is designed works fine without any seal, however; the seal where the tub hinges the windshield frame will leak. My new Jeep back in the day leaked when it was only a few years old. My 37 year old 1985 Jeep leaks at this location badly, but the seal appears to be original, so that is to be expected.

I covered it with a strip of black Gorilla Tape a while back and it hasn’t leaked a drop since. I doubt I would do the Gorilla Tape fix after repainting my Jeep, but for now it does the job and it’s hard to notice the tape, since it’s black tape.

If you look close you can see the tape, but since the Jeep is so rough looking, I’m willing to put up with it. I drive my Jeep, and get caught in afternoon thunderstorms frequently, so it’s nice to not have water running down the dash onto the radio.
I will rest a little easier now, thanks Mike

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
View attachment 4154302 View attachment 4154303

Interesting…I stand corrected…Denny is correct.

I never noticed this rubber strip glued to the hardtop back in the day when I had a new CJ-7.

I removed it many times back then, but I never looked up under there.

Now I need to look under my early style seamless heavy hardtop, but it’s installed on my Jeep for now.

I have a beat-up late style lightweight hardtop with the seams, and it has the rubber seal still glued in place, just like Denny’s picture…See my picture.
Well here you go. Mine does have the T-handle lock and the pigtail harness coming out the bottom left corner of top but both wires are black. This top is NOT light. for what that is worth. Mine did have the rubberstrip across the inside top for sealing but no endcaps. 1 of the pics with the top on is of the first day it arrived to me attached to Jeep. the others are of it being cleaned and repairs made prior to painting. By all accounts the color of the top is Nutmeg which is correct for 82 and there were no signs of it ever being painted. Doesnt mean it wasnt but then if it was it was perfect!!! Either way I am not putting on those end caps. BTW this is not a concours type restoration. Let me know your verdict. Thanks for your input, Mike

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive parking light
Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle
Wood Road surface Hood Automotive exterior Asphalt
Brown Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood
Wood Tints and shades Flooring Art Hardwood

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, didnt mean to start anything. Pretty sure i got my answers on the seals for my 82 cj7 and according to keith460 above and Axhammer quote from previous post I have my answer about the top itself on my CJ
"#5 · May 5, 2022
That’s an OEM hardtop, it’s the later composition plastic, I forget what they called it, but it has the seams, and is much lighter than the first version hardtop that was much heavier, and seamless." Thanks once again, Mike

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You didn’t start anything…it’s all good.

Keith is only clearing the air on the years and composition of the hardtops over the years.

I have one of the early style HT’s and one of the later style HT’s.
You didn’t , you and Keith set the record straight by identifying my hard top and I thank you both for all that you do and have done for all us “newbys” and the wealth of knowledge you guys share with us, thank you Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts