Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
The metal strip should be installed with the bent flange facing towards the front.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
My 1986 CJ-7 that I bought new didn’t have those end seals. It didn’t have any seals.

When I put my early style hardtop on my 1985 CJ-7 I don’t use any type of seal or weather stripping. I set it in place, bolt down 8 tub bolts and five windshield frame screws.

Those corner (end seals) seals are YJ seals.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
I doubt you will ever have a water leak at the hardtop/windshield frame interface. The way it is designed works fine without any seal, however; the seal where the tub hinges the windshield frame will leak. My new Jeep back in the day leaked when it was only a few years old. My 37 year old 1985 Jeep leaks at this location badly, but the seal appears to be original, so that is to be expected.

I covered it with a strip of black Gorilla Tape a while back and it hasn’t leaked a drop since. I doubt I would do the Gorilla Tape fix after repainting my Jeep, but for now it does the job and it’s hard to notice the tape, since it’s black tape.

If you look close you can see the tape, but since the Jeep is so rough looking, I’m willing to put up with it. I drive my Jeep, and get caught in afternoon thunderstorms frequently, so it’s nice to not have water running down the dash onto the radio.

Reactions: Mister4x4

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Window Building Wood Rectangle Automotive exterior
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Rectangle

Well I will say mine did come with a seal across the front, just no end caps. It seals against the horizontal flat portion of the ws frame. View attachment 4154207
Interesting…I stand corrected…Denny is correct.

I never noticed this rubber strip glued to the hardtop back in the day when I had a new CJ-7.

I removed it many times back then, but I never looked up under there.

Now I need to look under my early style seamless heavy hardtop, but it’s installed on my Jeep for now.

I have a beat-up late style lightweight hardtop with the seams, and it has the rubber seal still glued in place, just like Denny’s picture…See my picture.

Reactions: Renegade82

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Wow, didnt mean to start anything. Pretty sure i got my answers on the seals for my 82 cj7 and according to keith460 above and Axhammer quote from previous post I have my answer about the top itself on my CJ
"#5 · May 5, 2022
That’s an OEM hardtop, it’s the later composition plastic, I forget what they called it, but it has the seams, and is much lighter than the first version hardtop that was much heavier, and seamless." Thanks once again, Mike
You didn’t start anything…it’s all good.

Keith is only clearing the air on which years were different, and the composition of the hardtops, during the different changes. It’s good knowledge.

I have one of the early style HT’s and one of the later style HT’s.

The early ones were far heavier and more robust in design, but I am always on the lookout for a new style HT that’s in decent shape at a fair price.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Mike, I’m a Jeep rookie. When Keith’s speaks…I listen.

Reactions: JoonHoss
1 - 7 of 7 Posts