Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone has tested the hybrid mode with a fully charged battery so see how many km it will travel in hybrid mode..
Also what was the fuel economy? Thx

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you start with a full charge and drive in hybrid mode it will go until you run out of gasoline. The battery pack is 17.3 kWh with 15 useable/2.3 reserve. So even when the dash shows <1% it is still in hybrid mode.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you start with a full charge and drive in hybrid mode it will go until you run out of gasoline. The battery pack is 17.3 kWh with 15 useable/2.3 reserve. So even when the dash shows <1% it is still in hybrid mode.
Does anyone know of JEEP will provide an extended range solution soon, software or hardware? 20 miles on battery just not enough.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am wondering if anyone has tested the hybrid mode with a fully charged battery so see how many km it will travel in hybrid mode..
Also what was the fuel economy? Thx
Yes. Most I get is 20 miles with Everything shut off. I can’t get any info from JEEP on if they are doing anything to extend battery life or if they will provide a free update or upgrade before the come out with an all electric and leave current 4xe owners with an obsolete vehicle. Tesla customer support is so much better. JEEP sucks at customer support.

·
Registered
1995 ZJ, 1997 ZJ, 1998 ZJ
323 Posts
Pure Electric = 20 miles on road or 3 miles off road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is JEEP going to provide an upgrade solution for more electric miles either software or battery?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Is JEEP going to provide an upgrade solution for more electric miles either software or battery?
I would seriously doubt it. First off, a software change (or "upgrade") will not increase the power capacity of the batteries. The only way a software change could make for more range, would be to use less power on other things (turn things off and allow more power for the motor). Secondly, the only real way to increase the electric range is to install a higher capacity battery. I would be shocked if Jeep recalled everyone's 4XE's to replace working batteries with larger ones (and that's assuming they would physically fit in the same location). It's darn near impossible to get them to have a recall with defective parts, let alone parts that are "working as designed". Throw in the lack of available automotive parts in general, and I just don't see that ever happening.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I actually joined this group today to learn about the best place for a 4xe lease deal after reading about WHY Jeep built the 4xe. It wasn't for gas mileage or to be greener, it was a business decision made when they could no longer buy credits from Tesla to offset the fees the govt will pile on them for their average MPG across their product line. It was designed to check some boxes to save them penalties, they intentionally used the smallest and cheapest battery they could. They gave it a plug for no reason other than to check another box to be able to call it a PHEV.

My wife for the 25 years I've known her has always wanted a purple jeep, but she also believes in helping the environment. She's having a crisis of conscience right now when I told her we could get the $7500 fed credit and her purple jeep (back for 2023!), but she's going to go from a vehicle with 28/35 mpg to 20/20 for all practical purposes.

The ~20 mile battery limit is an intentional design, there's nothing to be fixed. If you thought you were buying the 4xe to be green, you've been tricked (but received a solid $7500 off for that trickery). My wife is still trying to talk herself into it really being green when it's not. She's already chosen the jeep, she's just trying to find a logical way to justify it to herself. For me, she gets what she's always wanted, I get 7-9% off MSRP plus a $7500 incentive and save a boatload of $$$.

·
Registered
323 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
It works with the dealer I'm talking to, I just have to order the car, wait several months, then fly 1000 miles to pick the car up and drive it home. I just waited a year for a C8 and did the same, hopefully this will be much less of a wait.

·
5,736 Posts
Where the 4xe excels is in crawling. You have torque when you need it and 20 mile range will get you thru most of the day crawling.
My camp neighbor had one at Dixie Run last year and it was really good out on the trails in electric mode and she wasn't a seasoned off roader.
Still not for me but I can see why someone might want one.

·
Registered
323 Posts
When off roading in pure electric mode the range is 1-3 miles, not 20. However in hybrid mode it may do quite well for off road use all day long. That would be interesting to test out. If the Jeep would use the electric motor for the technical low rpm parts but switch to the ICE for the rest of the trail, that could be the best of both worlds. An electric motor has some great advantages for off road use, instant torque, low rpm torque, easily controlled, quiet... I have no issues with an electric Jeep, if it is done correctly....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts