Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 258 in my CJ7 started overheating with needle going past the “H”. Took it to mechanic hoping it was just a thermostat or the water pump. Diags show it failed engine block test and tested positive for carbons in the coolant. Engine oil is clean. Mechanic says it’s likely a blown head gasket. Then engine was already burning oil with 128k miles. At this point I’m looking to replace the engine. My usual repair guy says rebuild would take months based on part availability and his work back log. Said jasper engine didn’t have any inventory of this engine because of Covid and it’s economic effects. So, I found another place that would do a rebuild or a replacement in a reasonable timeframe. Their rebuild will cost about $3000 more than a swap. I’m probably going with the swap due to the cost savings. They will use Titan Engines to get the replacement. Anyone have any experience with their engines? Anyone have any thoughts on the 4.7 stroker option? I’ve been hearing the stroker can be problematic.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Find another running 258 to drop in and keep your rig moving, then set up to rebuild your original engine yourself.

These are relatively easy to rebuild, and with your rig moving, you have time to wait for parts while still enjoying the miles going by :)

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
HI Yes keep your motor.( buy a running junk yard motor to throw in) That would give you time . i don't know where you live but parts should be available The 258 has been around for ever I can't emagen not being able to get parts, I think their still using the 258 calling it a 4.2L ... Call a parts store and ask about a master rebuild kit.. That would get your gaskets and seals then figure out what you want to do with the pistons that are in it.. just might need a ball hone (easy) to add a thach to the bore's install new rings (I'd find some file to gap rings, your honing the bore's you can be sure of the fit when you file fit..). new barrens (Mains and rods). If the cam barrens are bad those have to be pressed in (you can make a tool or have a machine shop install they have holes that need to line up). While your in there you might want to change cam/lifters and of course timing chain/gears (it's a kit double roller)..
Sorry got to rambling... with a few tools you could do it yourself with any decent knowledge..

good luck take care be safe
tim

·
Registered
1995 ZJ, 1997 ZJ, 1998 ZJ
156 Posts
In my experience, it’s hit and miss with rebuilding an engine and it is also hit and miss with buying a “reman”. When I was a teenager, the popular thinking was that the big reman shops were not as good as a well reputed local machine shop. However, I’ve had bad luck with both. My last 4.2 was rebuilt by a company in Spokane and it did well enough. One cylinder would always burn a little oil though, but it was still running 100,000 miles later when I sold it. Personally I would just buy the reman save the current one for parts if the reman shop didn’t want the core.

Reactions: Blueknight7777

·
Registered
83 cj7
361 Posts
I've never owned a titan. I've been reading their reviews of the 4.7 stroker and there are sure a lot of bad ones. Hard to say if it's just the owners that have a bad experience that talk about it or if they really have that many problems. What about a used 4.0 out of the junkyard? You can always rebuild it later as a 4.7

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate all the replies, thank you. I am knee deep in rebuilding bathrooms in my house so I don't have the time. I also don't have the space or tools in my garage to do the rebuild myself. I'm in Georgia and surprisingly it's been rather difficult finding anyone that wants to take my money. All the Jeep specialty shops rather work on the new jeeps where the quick money is and they are on a wait list. Lucky I found this place that is ready to do the work (hopefully that doesn't mean the quality will suffer). I would rather a rebuild of my existing engine but the turnaround time and the money is too much. Also, I'd love to do a 4.0 high output from a YJ, but have yet to find a mechanic willing to put anything in this CJ but the OEM 4.2. At this point, I will have these guys put in a new exhaust, prolly a new carburetor since the one in there is some kinda chinese knock off that's leaking. Some have recommended EFI so not sure what direction to go in. Gonna call these guys tomorrow to arrange towing and get this party started.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stay away from Titan engines! Almost all of them have "repaired" cracked heads and (in my experience) fail often. And when that inevitably happens, they'll deny the warranty on an allegation that the engine over heated.

Sadly heard of too many people finding out the hard way

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stay away from Titan engines! Almost all of them have "repaired" cracked heads and (in my experience) fail often. And when that inevitably happens, they'll deny the warranty on an allegation that the engine over heated.

Sadly heard of too many people finding out the hard way
This is disappointing to hear. Jasper doesn't have availability. Bad reviews on ATK and now Titan reman engines. NOT sure there are any affordable options left.

·
Registered
156 Posts
This is disappointing to hear. Jasper doesn't have availability. Bad reviews on ATK and now Titan reman engines. NOT sure there are any affordable options left.
If you are concerned about the the quality of a reman and can't afford or can't wait for the other options, then I'd seriously be looking for a JY engine to put in as-is for the time being. Just do a quick swap. I don't think that it would have to come out of a CJ necessarily. I always kept my eye on an old AMC that my buddy had in his back yard in case my 4.2 ever died on me.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Have you considered just having the mechanic replace the head gasket for now. It could give you time to get a 4.0 (or stroker) together for when the stars align…

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have you considered just having the mechanic replace the head gasket for now. It could give you time to get a 4.0 (or stroker) together for when the stars align…
I have thought of this route. Mechanic even said he had a head from an old 258 sitting in back from an engine swap he did previously if mine was cracked. So, I could go the route of used head and head gasket which would then allow me to go all out with a Holley sniper EFI and a new exhaust. At that point I can replace the engine later on down the road. I will know more this week when the shop gets back to me with a few more price options.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The 6 cyl strokers are awesome.but not budget friendly if done right.

What about a 258 intake and distributor in a 4.0l? Might be able to find a good running one.

I think I'd try to fix your 258 first. Amc 6's are tough.I've seen them go through hell and get patched back together

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think you really really want the 4.0 intake. You can run a carb adapter and a carb and hei.

What about s and j engines? Their strokers are pretty reasonable
If you are talking about S&J in Spokane, I believe that’s who did my 4.2 about ten years ago. I was living just north of Spokane at the time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts