Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1989 YJ Sahara
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I did a search, and I know there are a lot of threads about this...but I am looking for more of a don't go that route, or do type of answer here. I have an 89 Saraha that I just got. It really hasn't been operational since 2008. it has 81,000 miles on it, and seems solid. I finally got it running, has a Howell on it, but I assume by the positive valve cover pressure, extreme pressure, I have at a minimum bad rings. It is an automatic.

so the question here is, I have a line on a 93, 4.0 with an ax-15. I really am wanting a manual transmission, and I know there is a good deal of work to get that, but what I don't know much about is the OBD type stuff. Is there a painful amount of wiring or other items that need to be completed if I am pulling the entire driveline engine setup from a donor to mine? I am not a mechanic in the least bit, but I am handy and have worked on my own vehicles for 15 years. I have no issue in thinking my abilities in pulling and small fabrication items but wanted to solicit some input on things to avoid. Say I find a better setup in a TJ, and it has OBD2, should I avoid that?

Again, I know this has been covered in other posts, but a lot of them are pretty old and not a lot of replies, in at least what I searched.

Thank you

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you pull the pin on this, I suggest you get the Jeep FSM for the 93. Study ALL the wiring diagrams closely, and make sure you get EVERYTHING from the donor. Keep in mind you also have upgrade the fuel pump.....the Howell uses a GM TBI low pressure pump. Can it be done, absolutely. There is nothing voodoo about OBD2 should you go with a newer engine....again, make sure you get the Jeep FSM for the donor vehicle, you'll need it for wiring diagrams and diagnosis info. I swapped my 4.2 for a 2002 GM 4.8 V8. The wiring was the easiest part of the swap......but I sat down with the diagrams for both the Jeep and the Silverado the engine came from and studied them before I even touched the vehicle. Started up first turn of the key 😁

1 - 2 of 2 Posts