Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1990 Jeep Cherokee sport 4x4
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
back story. in January i threw the # 6 connecting rod in my 90 cherokee with the renix 4.0. i procured a 92 4.0 ho that ran when pulled. sat under a cover for 2 yrs in the shop. so this spring i started the swapping procedures. changed exterior gaskets. checked cylinders for wear. replaced timing chain & gears. i used the ho fuel rail, intake & exhaust. renix tps, distributor, alternator, electronics. ive replace all the electronics from the distributor to the ecm.

so to the problem at hand. engine wont go above 2800-3000 rpms. doesnt matter if its in park, neutral or driving down the road. at around 2800 rpms it cuts out and stutters. stock fuel rail. 4 hole injectors for the cherokee.

ive been driving it with the transmision switch on normal, but when you switch it to torque it wont shift.

· Registered
1,930 Posts
Check your fuel pressure. Renix runs 31psi with vacuum hose attached. 39 psi unattached. Are you using the HO fuel pressure regulator? I think it uses a higher fuel pressure.,

· Registered
1990 Jeep Cherokee sport 4x4
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check your fuel pressure. Renix runs 31psi with vacuum hose attached. 39 psi unattached. Are you using the HO fuel pressure regulator? I think it uses a higher fuel pressure.,
yes running ho fuel regulator. i just removed the aftermarket regulator i had on it. fuel doesnt effect the loss. i had the aftermarket regulator turned to 31, but even adjusting it on the fly with the engine reved at high had not change

· Registered
Jeep Cherokee XJ
95 Posts
My 01 is doing the same thing won’t rev past 2800 RPM with a rough idle. I’ve been sick for 8 days now so haven’t got to more diagnostics. I made a post on here and had some good suggestions. Hopefully between the both of us we can get a solution and fix . Good luck sir

1 - 6 of 6 Posts