Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Been tossing this idea back and forth, and leaning more towards a 4.0 head for a Dyno Run, cause I know y'all wanna see it, lol.

But.... I've seen Clearwater Cylinder heads for about $650-750? Maybe $800?

Also seen HESCO for $1,100 with a valve cover (I have an 89, so I think my valve cover will work?)

Is there anywhere else to be looked at? I thought it was just deck flat, then patch water jackets? A 4.0 alone is about $400-ish? Is double the price worth the welded water passages? This just seems a bit steep to me. Oddly, a new 258 head bone stock runs the same amount, lol. Yeah, not "core charging" my 258 head to save my life, no freaking way, only gonna go up in price.

Anyhow, thanks for any advice!!! Every bit of $$ counts nowadays, lol.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why not just buy a decent condition used 4.0 engine? Then you can play around with everything.
Yeah, that crossed my mind as well, but would involve an Engine jack, stand, etc.

It's not that I'm opposed to it, just alot more work in my mind. Plus I don't really have a good space to put an engine right now. My Shed is overflowing with stuff the way it is, lol.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see a lot of guys here with an engine on stand covered with a tarp and whatnot. Not being a mechanic I don't know how detrimental that might it might not be.
Yeah, I have a piece of side yard that I could use, but I have to do some arranging of a fence to gain the space, take from the front yard to give to the backyard, lol.

That's down the road, though.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Buy a junkyard head
That's kinda what I was thinking, save probably a few hundred bucks. I'm gonna call around a few machine shops. I haven't gotten pricing from Clearwater Heads if you bring in a core, but they have mixed reviews. A smaller machine shop may be cheaper and more accommodating.

I just didn't know why HESCO and CCH is that expensive, is it because it's just easy and off the shelf? For the "bolt on" retail crowd? I guess so?

I'd also like to gasket match the intake, considering that would leave a mess and shavings/chips, would make sense to have a junkyard head, match, then have it decked and final clean at the same time. I'd be wary, personally, of shaving up $1k head.

·
Premium Member
11,363 Posts
considering that would leave a mess and shavings/chips, would make sense to have a junkyard head, match, then have it decked and final clean at the same time. I'd be wary, personally, of shaving up $1k head.
You can do that without contamination concerns. A blowgun and hot soapy water (dawn dish detergent) do the trick. You will make much less mess than most machine shops- not a diss on machine shops but they are on hourly and know it will be gone at cleanup.
didn't know why HESCO and CCH is that expensive
Well at top-shelf levels they are going to do top-shelf work at top shelf prices and a premium for keeping it on the shelf just waiting for those who have Manufactured Item Dependency Syndrome and flush wallets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts