Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have to say I love my 392. The only real design flaw that bugs me is the way they lazily dealt with the width of the 35 inch tires. Instead of building wider fender flares they put those flare extensions. Also means since the tires are wider they would rub on the flare instead of going up inside under full flex- with regular bump stops. So they put longer bump stops.
So we have a V8 Jeep that bottoms out on a moderate pot hole and since the flare extensions aren’t full length, and the AT tires love to throw rocks, it doesn’t take long to beat up the sides, doors, and rear fender flares if you drive on a gravel road. If they had made wider flares the tires would go up in the flare with full flex and and we would be able to have shorter bump stops. For a six figure Jeep it seems they could have done this right.
Anyway I bought front mud flaps to help with the rocks and I’m thinking about a one inch spacer for the front because I have skid plates and soon a winch so my bump stop will almost be touching at that point I’m sure!
Anyone know of aftermarket fender flares wide enough to cover the 35 inch tires and also has anyone cut some length off the bump stops? I can’t do much more of a lift because I still want to be able to park in my garage.
Thanks y’all!

·
Registered
11,857 Posts
how much up to you have before bump?( you dont measure to the jounce but to its metal cup as it will squish flat. It should be about 50% of travel of shock at rest. If at bump the shock is not near its full stuff then you lost flex as well. they just bumped it out...

35s are wide need more Back space as well. places with fenders laws you end up with very wide fenders to stuff into.

I you lifted it correctly you could have 3" bumps and still have say near 6" up and down. with near 12" of flex.

I have see JL rubicons with 35s that they think fit dealer stuff. On the trail i found that they rubbed rather well in a Hard flex. It then broke that front cad axle....THis was two years ago on our yearly run of it. those fenders are plastic so you do not want that 35 hitting it. I have see these knocked loose when bumped wrong.

·
Accidental Obfuscator
8,099 Posts
Just ran mine (non XR) pretty hard alongside an XR this past weekend. Not sure I agree with your "lazy" assessment as even NON XR can go to 35s with no flex rub. The extensions were to deliver it oem with 35s and meet state laws that require full coverage. The tail light extensions were to meet the federal visibility angle requirements with the larger spare.
And keep in mind the bump stops are not solid stops - they compress.
Have you flexed it out yet? I would do that before just assuming it wont work.
I hate to divert from here but the facebook 392 owners buyers group has a TON of info - direct from the project managers that is really quite informative. Ill ask if the bumpstops are different but I honestly dont recall that as being a difference in our discussions and comparisons...

Reactions: cj7prince
1 - 3 of 3 Posts