Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rebuild question:

I am assuming that 1 of the fuel tank lines is the main line, 1 is the return line and 1 is a vent line to the vapor canister. As I am trying to keep the Jeep as mechanically minimal and simple as possbile, when I run the new fuel lines do I have to keep the return line and vapor line? I am planning on tossing the vapor canister and running a new Weber or motorcraft carb (no computer of course) and I was curious as to what can needs to stay and what I can scratch. Ideas?

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
You will need the return line. The tank will need to have a vent at some point. If your going to toss your vapor canister, how much to toss it my way?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I'd connect them... I plugged and looped mine out right after my rebuild because I had to move from Virginia to Florida, but evidently I had a vacuum in the tank because it always sucked the fuel back to the tank.

After I reconnected everything I didn't have the problem.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I chatted witha few guys locally and they said DE emissons guys have been known to look for the canister during inpection so I may have to have one even if I dont have it hooked up 100% properly. I was just really hoping to be able to clean up the engine compartment and only reinstall what was absoltely necessary

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Get rid of the vapor line if you don't need it in your town. You need the return line. I would run a Motorcraft 2100 or 2150 carb. I run a 2150 on my CJ and what a difference from that BBD Carter carb!!!!!! Starts right up and idles perfect.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Save Some

imtheant; said:
I was curious as to what can needs to stay and what I can scratch. Ideas?
I would rather you restore the vent line and canister plumbing for the sake of creation. It is a very good thing for us and that old jeep too.
Lots of other tubes and such can be removed however some Systems should remain. IMHO.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would rather you restore the vent line and canister plumbing for the sake of creation. It is a very good thing for us and that old jeep too.
Lots of other tubes and such can be removed however some Systems should remain. IMHO.
X2 on the vent line and canister. It doesn't hurt performance when correctly maintained and helps Mother Earth... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
18,087 Posts
To have a good runner the gas tank must vent someplace, it won't run with no vent, it starves for gas. We got really bad raw gas fumes without the canister to catch them.

If you don't mind burning up starters from long starts when it vaporlocks after a hot shutdown, then you don't need the return line. If you like fast starts, you need it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts