Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

3.5" or 4.5" Lift for 33's

1992 11
I will be getting a Rubicon Express lift kit in order to run 33" tires. Will be going with Pro Comp 7031 wheels (15 x8) and Duratrac tires. However, the Rubicon Express 3.5" and 4.5" are the same price for the Superflex kit. It would be nice to have the option of running 35's later on (maybe with a 1" body lift), so wondering if it makes sense to get the 4.5" lift immediately? Any drawback to going with the higher lift, either in performance or extra modifications needed?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
I believe youll need to SYE with the 4.5"
You should get an SYE regardless for 3.5 or 4.5

I have the RE 3.5 superflex kit and its fine for 33's and 35's would fit fine with bumpstop adjustment. From personal experience, I think the 3.5 lift gives more stability over a 4.5 lift on an identically outfitted rig. My bother and I have TJs, both with the set up exactly the same but one with the 3.5 and the other with the 4.5. Mine is noticeably more stable in off camber spots.

I ended up putting a 1.25 Body lift and 1 inch motor mount lift so that I wouldn't have to mess with bump stops.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Habsfan124 said:
rcherb, I have a Rubicon, so I do not believe SYE is necessary. But is a new drive shaft necessry? rda616, what are some better quality kits?
You don't need a sye with a rubicon. You just need a double cardan driveshaft adjustable control arms and a cv style track bar bracket.

For lift kits in the 3.5"-4" range Currie, Savvy Offroad, Metalcloak, or franken lift using quality parts from different manufacturers to optimize the rig for your needs.

·
Cynical Bastard
13,544 Posts
I've got the RE 3.5", and it fits my 33s perfectly. I added SYE and CV driveshaft because I got some vibes after the lift, but I've had no rubbing or binding issues anywhere. I'm not sure why rda616 is recommending staying away from RE. I've had their kits and various components on two Jeeps now, and I've never had any issues with them at all.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Awshux said:
I've got the RE 3.5", and it fits my 33s perfectly (IMO). I added SYE and CV driveshaft because I got some vibes after the lift, but I've had no rubbing or binding issues anywhere. I'm not sure why rda616 is recommending staying away from RE. I've had their kits and various components on two Jeeps now, and I've never had any issues with them at all.
The hourglass bushings used in their control arms are crap and need replaced often. The spring rates are very high which makes for a short spring free length. The 3.5" gave me 4.25" lift. The track bar has a bend that goes right over the diff rather than bending out and away. This is an even bigger issue with their extreme duty track bar which uses a double sheer bracket. The heim joint re uses is also known for its short service life.
The front upper control arms I had would not adjust below 15.25". They need to adjust to about 14.75". I had to cut mine down to get the caster and pinion angle correct.

The only re part I still have is the rear sway bar links.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks you all for your input. I will evaluate all the product options you have all put forward and make a decision. For sure it seems like 3.5" lift is sufficient for the 33's, and then if I want to go to 35's later, consider a 1.25 Body lift and 1 inch motor mount lift.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
I will be getting a Rubicon Express lift kit in order to run 33" tires. Will be going with Pro Comp 7031 wheels (15 x8) and Duratrac tires. However, the Rubicon Express 3.5" and 4.5" are the same price for the Superflex kit. It would be nice to have the option of running 35's later on (maybe with a 1" body lift), so wondering if it makes sense to get the 4.5" lift immediately? Any drawback to going with the higher lift, either in performance or extra modifications needed?
I run the 4.5" springs with 35x12.50 KM2s. I put the 5.5" on at first and it was WAY too high for me. The 4.5" gave me more than 4.5" of lift but it was enough to comfortably clear the 35's. The 3.5" should be good for 33's.

Let me know if you have other questions!

-Ryan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.