Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
JKS/ RC SA/ Bilstein/ Addcos/ JK rims
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting tired of my magnet mount perpendicular ground plane antenna bouncing off the roof when it hits the garage door as I drive in/out.

Time to look at half wave length grounded antenna Maybe an SSB5 Comet.

I see many CB guys mount at the driver rear tail light area. I am looking at making something like this piece here.

Any advice before I jump?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Gman shared these pics with me. But Id also love to see how the antenna PL cable was routed also. He used his for a flag pole As far as I followed.

Attachments

·
5,835 Posts
With the right antenna, mounting like that is just fine. Here are 2 pictures on my dual band antenna mountings. The JK has corner armor and a really nice spot for an NMO mount, the motorhome, not so. The bracket is something I made using some 16GA sheet metal and is screwed to the fender.

Both antennas are Diamond 770NMO's. These are a no ground plane antennas and work fantastic. On one trip, I hit our club repeater from 140 miles away. OK, I was only half way up a small mountain and using 50W on 2M but I held a 15 minute QSO at full quieting into the repeater.

The Diamond is the perfect antenna for your application.
Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting White Hood
Plant Window Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the antenna suggestion. JK‘s have such seriously good aftermarket support, so jealous on that. :cool:

This 90deg adapter looks helpful for my tail light coax cable routing. It’s a Comet 3D5M.
Mesh Font Pattern Circle Monochrome photography

·
5,835 Posts
A standard NMO will work just fine. You can get them with no PL259 if you need to fish the cable thru a small hole and then put on a PL256.
Automotive lighting Bumper Electric blue Circle Font

Reactions: leadsled jeep

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That looks like the BEST option yet. Thanks I’ll search for one of those.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok gents, need a little understanding. I don’t yet have the diamond NR770 black antenna, and as a result I am not sure how the NMO cable attaches to the bracket with 3/4” hole. Is the bracket sandwiched between? The hole appears too small, but I am speaking in ignorance and this is where you come in hopefully.

Thanks guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So next question is do I mount it diagonally to allow folder over along driver side or do it like shown above next to hatch…. Hmmm ….

Attachments

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hope so. I am limited in antenna height due to garage door height and wife’s frustration hearing “Bbb-oiiiiing” when antenna hits top of door as it drives in and out. So I’ll be going with a diamond nr73b Nmo 33.5” height at least for now. I know it’s not the best but what isn’t a compromise? At least it’s nice not having the mag mount antenna with cable snuck in thru the rear doors.

I may down the road get a diamond 770 that I can swap out when really desired and I am the only one driving it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts