Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, its been something I've wanted to do for some time. But being in the military and my current living situation doesn't give me the option to have a nice shop with decent tools. So with the holiday season upon us and an opportunity to take some time off I got the chance to have some fun. Being stationed in Connecticut I made some arrangements with the old man to make sure he had the 74 Bronco project moved out of the way for the 4 days I had. So with a budget and ideas in my head I took off and made the 1300mi trip to northern Wisconsin where my project could begin. The road was better than I expected for 3.5" lift on 31" MTs. 17 mpg was nice too. No issues (good ol 4.0)
as soon as I got home we got to work.

I wanted a little more protection on the truck front and rear, with the factory plastics long gone I knew it would help the look to do up some decent bumpers. Plus I needed a winch for some time now.

I really like the way the JCR kit looked but didn't really want to spend the $$$. I did end up buying a set of d-ring tabs for convenience. And IMO there isn't a rear bumper that I really liked. So first things first we got two sheets of 3/16 8x4 steel. The mounts were mocked up and we went from there.

The basic shapes were designed with some simple cardboard templates. Then traced over onto the steel. Fired up the plasma torch and got to work. After about 2 hours of torching the basic shapes were cut and we could begin fitting them on the truck.

After hours of cut here, tack there, little more grinding here, and pull, tack again, the basic shape was done. Time for the finish weld and a lot of grinding.

Now they were pretty much done and ready for some paint, but the front looked like it was lacking.

So, I looked on the JCR page and looked at their bumper again and loved the tubes they put on. So I grabbed some pipe that was laying around and put it through the bender. 1.5" center hoop and 1.25 on the outside. Then welded them on and it was time for my favorite part, body and paint.
I went with a single base enamel satin black to match the roof rack and hood louvers. I'm not a huge fan of shiny things. Luckily we had about half a gallon laying around from a '68 Caddy my dad was building. So into the gun it went after two layers of K36 fill primer and two coats of sealer primer.

The end result was perfect and I couldn't be happier. I love having a mean look and the practicality of a nice spot for a winch and tow points. Plus it was nice having a project with my old man only getting to see him a few days a year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! It was a learning experience for sure, but there was no way I was letting the old man do anything more than show me what to do. I now regret wasting my childhood on video games when he was such a wealth of knowledge.
Here is his '74 being rebuilt after making a feature in 4 Wheel Drive mag in '07. And I still don't know a thing. Oh the regrets. lol

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Great design work, and fabulous fabrication. Really nice. The whole ZJ looks bad-azz, and not over-the-top at all. You should be proud to drive that ZJ. Enjoy.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all the support. Sorry I don't have the ability to build these for sale.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.