Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the Fel-pro vs50244 gasket. It is straight on the passenger’s side and curvy on driver’s. The valve cover and motor housing is curvy on both sides so it does not look like it will work. The valve cover is on a 1983 cj7 with 258. It is a metal cover as a magnet will stick to it. Does anyone have a brand and part number for this setup? All of the images of the gasket options look the same.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The valve cover on my 258 is wavy on both sides. It's a little more pronounced on the passenger side. Not sure but think the VS50258C is the correct gasket.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw a picture of that gasket and it does look like it. It says it is for an earlier model. For all I know the PO could have replace the engine or the head with one from an earlier model. As per the VIN, mine is an 83. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
8,857 Posts
if you get the number from the engine block we can tell you which year your engine is.

That head and cover is not for a 1983. It is a pre 1981.

Verify the year and you may find FEL-VS50258C fits

·
Premium Member
2,064 Posts
Your engine may not be a 1983. There is a code stamped on the block on the passenger side to the right of the distributor. Find the number and use Google to search for "Jeep CJ 258 engine block year number."

I think your engine may be a 1980 or earlier which had a metal valve cover. Gasket would be different than 1981-86.

JS

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help. I will get the engine block number tomorrow. I will update post when I get the information in case anyone is curious.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I found a stamped code to the right of distributor. Attached photo. Looks like a 211c0. The 2 could be a 3. I searched google and this forum and did not see any ID numbers like this. The c is raised above the other numbers also. Anyone have any ideas on identification?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,143 Posts
Is that a "7" after the "0"

Found this online:

1st Digit - Year
6- 1973
7- 1974
8- 1975
9- 1976
1- 1977
2- 1978
3- 1979
4- 1980

2nd & 3rd Digit - Month

4th Digit - Type
A I-6 258 8.0:1 Compression Ratio
C I-6 232 8.0:1 Compression Ratio
E I-6 232 8.0:1 Compression Ratio
M I-6 232 8.0:1 Compression Ratio (VAM/Built in Mexico)

5th & 6th Digit - Day of Month
Some sites say "C" indicates a 2V carb. But everyone pretty much agrees on the first number is the year.
1978 which explains your valve cover.

The 258 can be identified by the 4th character of the engine build date code ("A", "B", "C" or "M"), stamped into the engine block below and between the number 2 and 3 spark plugs.
An engine stamped with
"B" is an early 258 with a 7.6:1 compression ratio.
"A" and "B" are engines with 1-barrel carburetors, while
"C" and "M" are 2-barrel.
"M" originated in Mexico.
Other codes ("E", "F", "K" and "L") are 232 engines.​

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so much guys. That does explain why the valve cover gasket for a 1983 will not fit. I guess someone in the jeeps past swapped the motor for one from a 1978. I ordered the vs50258c gasket. Now I have been reading up on this site about recommendations for the gasket install. There does not seem to be a consistent consensus on whether to just use the cork gasket, or whether to apply some type of rvt or gasket sealant to the surface as well. Has anyone had success with the way they have done it? I do understand that it is important to not overtighten the bolts. I plan to get an inch/pound torque wrench as I do not have one.

·
Premium Member
3,585 Posts
Cork gaskets can be used with Permatex aviation sealant with a great degree of success. Surfaces must be cleaned with alcohol, brake clean, etc. in order to get any sealant to work properly. The aviation stuff though rocks on cork.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just buy a tube of The Right Stuff gasket maker, then you won't have to worry about ordering the wrong gasket.

That's what I used on my 258, after a few failed attempts with regular gaskets. The Right Stuff sealed it right up.

Matt
If the gasket leaks I will try this.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks so much guys. That does explain why the valve cover gasket for a 1983 will not fit. I guess someone in the jeeps past swapped the motor for one from a 1978. I ordered the vs50258c gasket. Now I have been reading up on this site about recommendations for the gasket install. There does not seem to be a consistent consensus on whether to just use the cork gasket, or whether to apply some type of rvt or gasket sealant to the surface as well. Has anyone had success with the way they have done it? I do understand that it is important to not overtighten the bolts. I plan to get an inch/pound torque wrench as I do not have one.
I use a cork gasket and I just use RTV on the cover side of the gasket. If you use it on both sides you would likely need a new gasket every time you take the cover off.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I do business with FLAPS--friendly auto parts stores. The first time I needed a valve cover gasket I took the valve cover with me. I might save a buck or two by ordering online, but these folks at the FLAPS remember me and go out of the way to help me find the truly hard to find part. If they order a part for me they pay the shipping and return shipping if it's not right. Being able to compare the old and new side by side before purchasing is a bonus.

The Rambler/AMC/Chrysler I6 started production in 1959 as a 199 CI Rambler engine and continued production with improvements until the 2006 4.0 Jeep engine. There is nothing exotic about it and parts are readily available.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts