Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished my 249 to 242 swap in my 96 ZJ V8. the donor was out of a 96 ZJ 4L. the date on the tag of the 242 was 7-99 so it was new to the donor truck, but remember, the donor truck was the 4.0L, not the V8 like mine.

i did NOT have to swap input shafts. both input shafts were 7/8ths exposed and of course, both were the same splines.

has anyone else swapped a 242 into a ZJ V8 and not had to swap input shafts? i've spent the better part of the last year reading countless forums on this swap and it doesnt seem very common for this to happen.

would this mean that it might be a straight swap for everyone if the transfercase was of the same generation (96+) out of the same year truck (96) and out of a ZJ, not an XJ or wrangler?

i did run into a problem tho. the 242 had the new style rear output shaft that is exposed with a boot, not encased by a housing. these shafts are an inch longer, which means my driveshaft is an inch too long. i will have to get it shortened tomorrow morning.

·
R.I.P.
19,806 Posts
96+ zjs all had the same length input shaft as far as i know. my 97 and a 98 donor i used had the same and it seems pretty common to not have to swap inputs if you get them from the later year donors. now the early zj's and other jeeps are all over the place on input shaft length.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I actually have a 95, and swapped a 96 in, and had to change the input shaft.. was also the 4.0... i think you have to look at the built on date in the door jamb(?) i think it had to be built later than 5/96.. those had the longer shafts.. or was it shorter.. i forgot.. lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got a 242d from a 99 dodge Dakota and opened it up and absolutely does not have to be swapped it has the .80 27 spline input shaft that matches with my 1996 grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 and a 249j from a 96 has a 1.25 inch chain and has a six gear planetary gears set .

·
Registered
744 Posts
My 94's original 42RE and NP231 had smooth "pilot point" on the end the transmission output shaft/T-case input. I put a later 42RE in it and ended up cutting off the last 3/8", or so, off the transmission output shaft because I had to get it put together. Currently has a '95 AX15 and '00 NP231, both from XJs, and they both use the fully splined setup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts