Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick and dirty parts list to build a junkyard 231HD. I've seen a bit of conflicting information on this and other forums, so I will share what I have learned in piecing mine together. First off, there is no "231HD" case from any Jeep or Dodge vehicle that is simply plug and play. There may be other varyiations to this, but below is what I know will work for your WJ. You can either piece it together yourself, or buy a pre-made, brand new case from JB conversions that includes the items listed below:

1. 231D out of a '98 - '01 Dodge 1500 pickup. This will include the 1.25" wide chain (231J's (jeep models) are 1"). This case will also include the updated and stronger aluminum shift forks. Prices vary anywhere from $150+ depending on your region. Check www.car-parts.com.

2. Source a 6 pinion planetary from a late 90's model dodge transfer case (i.e. 241D, 241DHD). Late model is critical so the gear cut will match. The 231D (and 231J's) includes a 3 pinion planetary that is rated at 600 ft/lbs torque. The 6 pinion is rated at 1,400 ft/lbs torque. I found several used on eBay varying in price from $75+. JB conversions can get you a new one for $200. I opted for used.

3. HD Slip yoke eliminator. JB conversions or Advance Adapters is your best bet here. The 231J/D SYE is the same. Includes a 32 spline output shaft, which nets you an increase of 54% torque capacity over stock output shaft. Can go super shorty or regular. For long wheelbase WJ's, there really is no reason to go super shorty. Regular SYE will run you $200. I opted for JB due to a couple of minor advantages that I perceived over AA. Both are very good, however.

4. Swap your input shaft over from your 242/247 and it will match perfectly to your trans.

5. Miscellanous:

a) No 231 bezel swaps over so you'll need to either do nothing or ghetto-fab some labels. The 231HD shift pattern is opposite from that of a 231J, as follows: 4L - N - 2 - 4PT.

b) You may have to modify the linkage arm, depending on your donor case -- there are a few good threads on this. Note: you do NOT have to modify the linkage if you swap the linkage from your 242. A 231J or 247 linkage will not work. See pic of 242 linkage arm, which is direct swap.

c) You will also need a 1 1/4" freeze plug to plug the speedo port, which is a few dollars at any local parts store (speedo port is nice b/c if you consider an axle swap down the road, you can always run speedo off the transfer case and not the axles). Advance Adapters offers a billett plug with the 231j style horeshoe retainer. I opted for this over the freeze plug, which apparently AA was seeing some issues leakage-wise. See pic of billet plug/retainer.

d) Some 231d's use a vacuum switch for the dash indicator light. The 242 switch is a direct swap, but the detent is longer so the dash light is not accurate. Either leave it alone (I think you should know whether or not you're in 4wd or not ;), or you can buy a 231J 4wd switch and swap it in by splicing the wire to the new plug. Threads are all the same.

e) Alternatively, you may be able to swap in a Dodge 241 (basically a 231HD) which has 6 pinion planetary, the wide chain, etc.., but the 241 SYE kits are much more pricey. Plus, I am not 100% sure if the input shafts are a direct swap.

Total should run you about $500 in parts. JB's 231HD is $1,275.

Hope that helps. :wave:

242 linkage (w/4wd switch in background) + speedo housing plug pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Excellent, thanks!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Good info, thanks man. By any chance do you know the cut off years for 231 cases that are compatible. A buddy is offering me his old 231j out of his 92 yj for free. Not sure if it will swap in though...

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
nice to see someone do this. just curious why you didnt just start with a 241d or was it an availability issue? i know they are pricier but have the gearset and chain already.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Good info, thanks man. By any chance do you know the cut off years for 231 cases that are compatible. A buddy is offering me his old 231j out of his 92 yj for free. Not sure if it will swap in though...
I think you need like a '95+ NP231 with the later gear cut to swap input shafts.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I went this route as well and I am very happy. Mine was a little more then the $500 quoted above but I also did a little more to it (rebuild kit, spare 247 input shaft, SS SYE kit). When I did the build the cost came out to about $800 for just the TC and no drive shafts. Totally worth it IMO.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Very good a lot of great info. Thanks! The price difference is a lot but is it worth the extra money up front for a bolt in unit?? :confused:

·
Registered
17 Posts
So I've got a 99 wj originally quadra drive rebuilt a 231 put it in but can't get the linkage right either I get to only hit 4 hi and 4 lo or I hit all three but it pops out of 4 lo and guess what goes straight to n and that sucks when you are on a trail decent that is straight up and down with switch backs. So I managed to make it out alive and my wj unhurt but please help it's been two months of trying to find the sweet spot. Any pics suggestions anything would really help.

·
Banned
91 Posts
So I've got a 99 wj originally quadra drive rebuilt a 231 put it in but can't get the linkage right either I get to only hit 4 hi and 4 lo or I hit all three but it pops out of 4 lo and guess what goes straight to n and that sucks when you are on a trail decent that is straight up and down with switch backs. So I managed to make it out alive and my wj unhurt but please help it's been two months of trying to find the sweet spot. Any pics suggestions anything would really help.
Check out Novak, they have shift linkages that will fix your problem and make your shifting smoother as well. Here is a link...:thumbsup:

http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/shifters/kit_sk2x.htm

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Other than the planetary, are there any other advantages over the 242HD?

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Other than the planetary, are there any other advantages over the 242HD?
The planetary is the main advantage, which is a strength upgrade overall. Depending on your set-up, the other advantages are a "real" SYE (or even shorty SYE); and ported for speedo gear (axle swap purposes).

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Good enough. Woods makes a nice SYE for the 242HD. Until I look at 35's I should be ok with the planetary I have.

Unless I get a wild hair and do a turbo! :eek:

Is the 231 clocked any higher than the 242/247?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.