Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GCL only has 8,000 miles on it and the paint is chipping off in the bend areas of the door and hood? Anyone else have this issue. Of course my local dealer that sold me the the jeep refuses to warranty it and if it continues I guess Ill have to pursue the lemon law.
If any has experienced this before let me know.
Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
13 Posts
Omg! I'm having the same issue!!! And the same response from the dealer!!! On the hood as well and on the side rear passenger doors where it bends IN FRONT of the tires. Dealer and Jeep Corp told me it was not covered because its rock damage. I have had many vehicles in my lifetime and driven the same roads too and from work , NEVER seen anything like this before!
Car Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
32 Posts
My GCL only has 8,000 miles on it and the paint is chipping off in the bend areas of the door and hood? Anyone else have this issue. Of course my local dealer that sold me the the jeep refuses to warranty it and if it continues I guess Ill have to pursue the lemon law.
If any has experienced this before let me know.
Thanks,
Matt
I am having same issue. Velvet red is my color. Bought end of Oct 2021. Less than 4K mi when I noticed. No solution so far. The more it’s reported the more something might be done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Please make a complaint if jeep customer care - only way they may listen that this is a problem
We have and was told nothing will be done. We told Jeep we intend to take this further. Thier response was take the vehicle to another Chrysler dealership to have it reevaluate. My husband tried another Chrysler dealership who said they wouldn't even look at it since we didn't purchase it from thier dealership they wouldn't be able to recoup the labor it would take to inspect the GCL. Since the original dealership labeled the issue rock chips then Chrysler wont repair or cover. My husband went back to original dealership again in frustration and they at least are willing to re-inspect the vehicle again. Fingers crossed!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
The issue is the wheel sits outside the fender. I think it is a flaw in the design. Every factory car and truck I look at have wheels inside their bodies, except this one. The stones are catching the door edge when they fly by. So to answer your question I would say yes. Stones catch the rounded edge of the door profile I even purchased the mud flaps right from new and it does not extend out far enough to stop the stones I am not considering running boards as another way to stop the stones from catching the side . Spending 50k plus on a vehicle with just over 15000 kms it has more stone chips than my last vehicle which has 300k on it.
Plant Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Window Hood Automotive tire

·
Registered
32 Posts
The issue is the wheel sits outside the fender. I think it is a flaw in the design. Every factory car and truck I look at have wheels inside their bodies, except this one. The stones are catching the door edge when they fly by. So to answer your question I would say yes. Stones catch the rounded edge of the door profile I even purchased the mud flaps right from new and it does not extend out far enough to stop the stones I am not considering running boards as another way to stop the stones from catching the side . Spending 50k plus on a vehicle with just over 15000 kms it has more stone chips than my last vehicle which has 300k on it.
1 View attachment 4147063
View attachment 4147062
We’re you able to get anywhere with dealer?

·
Registered
13 Posts
We’re you able to get anywhere with dealer?
They have told me that they are willing to take my car back as a trade for another vehicle. Not sure what this is going to look like yet, but this dealership has a good reputation around Rochester, ny so hoping they are willing to help make this right even though Chrysler isn't. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did put a call into Jeep Customer care and filed a complaint. The lady I spoke to was not very understanding and kept telling me that external chipping is not covered under warranty. I tried to explain that the external chipping is being cause by the vehicle itself. The wheels are outside the body just enough to cause stones to hit the side of the vehicle and chip the paint. I would classify this as a internal issue as the vehicle is directly causing the problem. Likely will need a lawyer lawyer to deal with the issue. If anyone else is considering this as an option please let me know and we can join forces. Hwy 11 Dodge in Orillia Ontario is my dealership and thus far have not been very helpful.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did put a call into Jeep Customer care and filed a complaint. The lady I spoke to was not very understanding and kept telling me that external chipping is not covered under warranty. I tried to explain that the external chipping is being cause by the vehicle itself. The wheels are outside the body just enough to cause stones to hit the side of the vehicle and chip the paint. I would classify this as a internal issue as the vehicle is directly causing the problem. Likely will need a lawyer lawyer to deal with the issue. If anyone else is considering this as an option please let me know and we can join forces. Hwy 11 Dodge in Orillia Ontario is my dealership and thus far have not been very helpful.
I’m interested but not sure how that would work with me being in the US. I did manage to get mine escalated with Jeep’s Regional manager. We will see what happens.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I traded out my vehicle to Jeep dealership in Rochester ny area. They gave me all but $3000 of my original purchase price from 11/2021. I traded for another color and a 22. I also just took the new one to a specialty shop that is going to cover the problem areas I had with my 2021 with a plastic coating. It's going to cost me about $2000, bit I'm not going through that paint chip nightmare again. It really sucks we are all being blamed for poor paint and design flaw from a company that is more than glad to take your money. My loss is not such a small drop in a bucket. We all work very hard for what we have and I wasn't looking for a hand out but for them to make this right and fair.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a white 2021 GCL and it’s doing exactly the same thing. Dealership touched it up and asked if I drive on gravel roads often. I do not. They said there’s no other reason for it. The placement of the chips just don’t make sense. So frustrating.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a white 2021 GCL and it’s doing exactly the same thing. Dealership touched it up and asked if I drive on gravel roads often. I do not. They said there’s no other reason for it. The placement of the chips just don’t make sense. So frustrating.
File formal complaint with jeep and escalate it. Keep track of everything- every conversation date time and who it was with.

·
Registered
32 Posts
File formal complaint with jeep and escalate it. Keep track of everything- every conversation date time and who it was with.
Search this forum and every other one you can find for sane issue. Screenshot and build your case. I did get mine repainted after 5 months of arguing at least twice a week and requesting paint specs that they refused to provide. I wanted to get painted measured by professional to compare to specs. This needs to be a recall at done pint just need to get the number of complaints up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts