Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L overland cross bars

572 9
Trying to find a roof rack / cross bars that can support a 175lb roof top tent for my grand Cherokee L. What have people max loaded on roof racks and safely driven? Mopar and after market cross bars only provide ~31 inches left to right mounting area in between mounts (on rear cross bar). I need ~34 inches. Any thoughts/ideas/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Hood Line Tool Automotive lighting Parallel

Rectangle Bumper Line Font Automotive exterior

Rectangle Bumper Line Font Automotive exterior
Hood Line Tool Automotive lighting Parallel
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have these and they are great. I don't think you are going to get the weight limit that you want, but I can get you to the width. I know it says for a Compass, but they work and they look good as I have them on my '22 Grand Cherokee L (with a sunroof). They sit a little lower than the factory one and the bars over hang the side of the rail and looks a little more sporty to me. Easier to tie off things with the edge of the bar sticking out.

Roof Rails

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have these and they are great. I don't think you are going to get the weight limit that you want, but I can get you to the width. I know it says for a Compass, but they work and they look good as I have them on my '22 Grand Cherokee L (with a sunroof). They sit a little lower than the factory one and the bars over hang the side of the rail and looks a little more sporty to me. Easier to tie off things with the edge of the bar sticking out.

Roof Rails

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much! This is super helpful. I’m curious how much space there is on the rear bar if you were to measure the underside of it from mount to mount. Ultimately trying to see how much room I have in between the bars to be able mount something fastened around the bars. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thank you very much! This is super helpful. I’m curious how much space there is on the rear bar if you were to measure the underside of it from mount to mount. Ultimately trying to see how much room I have in between the bars to be able mount something fastened around the bars. Thanks for the help!
I took some quick measurements for you, so if anything is super close, you can call It out and I'll verify. I have the rear back all the way back, but there is a forward slot more for a small basket I guess..

Inside of front bar to to inside of rear bar is (inner area of the bars where something would fall through if not longer than this measurement---- 37"

Rear bar middle of Jeep---3 1/2"
Rear side at inside of support---3 3/4"
Rear outside of support---4"

Front bar middle of Jeep---2 7/8"
Front side at inside of support--- 3 1/2"
Front outside of support---3 5/8"

Inside measurement of bar side to side Front---41 3/4" +2" for the end caps total
Inside measurement of bar side to side Rear--- 42" +2" for the end caps total

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took some quick measurements for you, so if anything is super close, you can call It out and I'll verify. I have the rear back all the way back, but there is a forward slot more for a small basket I guess..

Inside of front bar to to inside of rear bar is (inner area of the bars where something would fall through if not longer than this measurement---- 37"

Rear bar middle of Jeep---3 1/2"
Rear side at inside of support---3 3/4"
Rear outside of support---4"

Front bar middle of Jeep---2 7/8"
Front side at inside of support--- 3 1/2"
Front outside of support---3 5/8"

Inside measurement of bar side to side Front---41 3/4" +2" for the end caps total
Inside measurement of bar side to side Rear--- 42" +2" for the end caps total

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for checking! I really appreciate it! Looking for specific measurement for rear rail left to right under side brackets. The Yakima setup I got only has 31” inches when measured underneath cross bar. What do yours measure? Thank you so much. See attached for way I measured
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Air gun Bumper

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Air gun Bumper

·
Registered
37 Posts
33 1/2" in the front, 30 1/2" rear. But the bracket is MUCH smaller and flush that the ones in your picture. I assume with a build up of material or something in your strap to smooth it all out. Doubt I'm making sense. Do you have a picture of the bracket or a link to it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
33 1/2" in the front, 30 1/2" rear. But the bracket is MUCH smaller and flush that the ones in your picture. I assume with a build up of material or something in your strap to smooth it all out. Doubt I'm making sense. Do you have a picture of the bracket or a link to it?
Here's a link to the mounting bracket below. Screws come down from above and bracket mounts underneath...looks like there might be room to to mount these brackets on the rear cross bar bracket given how flush it is? Thanks again!
Falcon Parts - Roofnest

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,799 Posts
The rail capacity spec should be in the owners manual. The rivnuts that hold the rail onto the roof on earlier models have a tendency to pull out of the roof, dunno if FCA improved mounting on the L.. Folks have been going to aftermarket sources of racks to load roof tents.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts