Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I have a '20 GC High Altitude with 39K miles and the car recently started making a squeaking noise when it goes over speed bumps, pot holes in the road, or into my driveway. It sounds like my old cars sounded when the struts and shocks were worn out. l know this GC has the dreaded air suspension. The Jeep also doesn't handle and feel anywhere close to how it felt when new just a few years ago. It kinda handles and feel like a boat on water vs a tight handling SUV. I've been doing some research on this forum and it sounds like I could take one of two routes.

1. Spend 3K+ and get a Mopar MaxCare extended warranty and let the dealership deal with it, and continue to deal with probably a number of other issues that will arise down the road. (To do this should I go straight to Mopar or use Zeigler?) My local dealership has an absolute trainwreck of a service department. The service rep and manager both hate their jobs and it shows. They never want to help anyone so I fear they will just say there is nothing wrong even with the MaxCare warranty.

or

2. Swap out the air suspension with something like this ---> 2016-2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Suspension Conversion Kit with Module and Camber Bolts (JC24FMCK)

I would love to hear from anyone who has done this type of conversion. What are the pros and cons of swapping out the suspension? Is the ride better? Is there a conversion that will keep the Jeep at aero height the entire time? I don't want it to look super lowered like it is a lambo or something, but slightly lower than normal ride height would look clean.

Thanks in advance!

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,371 Posts
These will ride about the same as a stnd coil sprung Jeep. There are lowering springs you can buy, use them instead of the OEM type springs in the kit, some kit makers may have spring options. Suspension conversions are more common the further north you live.

You are still under warranty, perhaps find another dealer to check it out, you may have something loose or a sway bar issue. But if you want coil springs anyway, this is a good excuse.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These will ride about the same as a stnd coil sprung Jeep. There are lowering springs you can buy, use them instead of the OEM type springs in the kit, some kit makers may have spring options. Suspension conversions are more common the further north you live.

You are still under warranty, perhaps find another dealer to check it out, you may have something loose or a sway bar issue. But if you want coil springs anyway, this is a good excuse.:)
Thanks ColdCase. Interesting. The dealer told me it was not covered under warranty because basic warranty end at 36K miles while Engine and Drivetrain are 60K. I guess I gotta find out if suspension is apart of the 36K or 60K.

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,371 Posts
Oh, sorry I missed the 39K part. Sometimes Jeep will repair under good will if close, sounds like your dealer isn't interested. And they will want the diagnostic fee regardless. You can try contacting Jeep customer service, the current contact info is on jeep.com somewhere.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Squeaking suspension noise, eh? Is there any chance that someone raised the vehicle by putting a jack under one or both of the front crossmember brackets? A pic of one is shown below. Those brackets are a tempting area to put a jack but if you do it will slightly deform the bracket and whenever you drive over a bump it will cause a squeaking noise. I did it to my GC and I learned about this common problem afterwards.

Fortunately, the brackets are fairly inexpensive and somewhat easy to replace.
Tool Bicycle part Bumper String instrument accessory Auto part

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's exactly what happened to my 2017 Overland. I stupidly put jack stands under both front brackets and bent them. After replacing the brackets, the squeaking stopped.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Are you sure it’s shocks and suspension/control arms?

Check the front sway bar bushings for the source of the noise. They are cheap and easy to get at the front. (For you or any mechanic.) Swap them out. Clean up the bar before you put the replacements on.

The lazy way to identify if they are the culprits is to lubricate them with some water or graphite powered so the bar twists in the bushings without binding. DONT use any oil or silicone products. (Because viscous type of lube will attract dirt and eventually they will wear and dry out/crack and start squeaking again.).

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,371 Posts
On a WK2, the sway bar bushings are molded to the bar. If you can find bushings to fit, it would take some effort to fix it, not bad but not plug and play.

This thread is intexed in the repair sticky:

·
Registered
504 Posts
ColdCase:
Once again you have educated me that there is more to the issue.

By “molded” do you mean the u brackets are welded to the sway bar, thereby capturing the rubber half-rings against the bar? What about the mating side on the vehicle?

I will take another peek at that. Not sure what you mean.

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,371 Posts
The sway bar does not spin in the bushing the bushings are not half rings, they are one piece. The bushings are "glued" to both the bar and metal bracket. The metal bracket is one piece, encircles the entire bushing, and is welded together. The bracket bolts to the frame. The referenced thread may have a bit more detail. Basically, to get the old bushing off you unbolt the brackets from the frame, break the bracket weld and separate it. Then you will either have to cut/scrape the rubber off the bar or bracket or both. Then you Macgyve parts together as you can only get the complete bar from Jeep. Its more effort than the old style two piece bushings, but not that dificult.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts