Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 Wrangler Unlimited

About 16,000 miles I started experiencing the dreaded death wobble (all stock) so I took it to my local dealership and when I explained what was happening the advisor looked at me like I had a 3rd eye. After they kept it a few days they called and told me they couldn't validate the wobble. I asked them if they thought I was lying so I took the mechanic on a test drive. Immediately I was able to make it happen (they just drove it around the block... duh).

They replaced the steering damper on a recall finally at about 20,000 miles, in July of 2020.

Fast forward, here it is Nov 2022 and it's happening again. I took it to a different dealership who told me it was the steering damper but since it was replaced on a recall and only a 2 year warranty that I would be out of pocket some 400.00 (I'm at 48,000 miles now). So I refused and paid the diagnostic fee of $182.00.

I found out that a class action has been won and awarded. Now jeep is extending the repair on this to 8years/90,000 miles (which the dealership had no knowledge of) and will reimburse out of pocket money spent on this.

I have since replaced mine with a Bilstein and it works great. And in doing so I found out that when the recall was performed the replaced steering damper was put on facing the wrong direction (there is a tag that says this side forward).

Well that's my saga.

I know there are thread after thread of death wobble post.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle

·
Registered
04 TJ
850 Posts
The real news a steering shock never fixes anything. Only covers it up. That jeep should be able to roll with out one even.

shock its self i would never spend much on for steering.
Do you really believe that the factory would spend a single dime on something that wasn’t needed ?
I sure fixed a lot of Jeeps over 35 years that had death wobble and a leaking or weak steering damper. At least half were low mileage and under warranty, stock and nothing else worn...
I would love to see a Jeep quadlink suspension with no damper, I’ll watch in my mirror though.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Interesting. I spend most of my time in the TJ section as that is my personal vehicle, but we just purchased a JL Unlimited with 30k miles private party (all stock) and was very surprised to get steering wobble at 80mph going over a highway bridge!!! My 99 TJ doesn't do that!

I see this JL has had the damper recall done, what do we do next? I did not realize there was a recall issue.

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
A steering dampener / steering stabilizer’s function is not to prevent death wobble. It is to minimize bump steer. As an example if you are off-road and run over a large object, without the dampener the wheel would violently jerk out if your hand.

Here are common causes of death wobble;

worn steering or suspension components
not enough caster on the front, usually after installing a cheap lift. Get longer lower control arms or adjustable control arms or geometry correction brackets
poorly balanced/ defective tires (I actually had that)
axles not centered, usually after installing a cheap lift
cracked / bent / broken track bar brackets
lift was installed and components tightened while Jeep was still in the air. Lift Jeep in air, Loosen components then put Jeep back on the ground and do the final tightening to torque specs that way
worn or damaged steering box (not common but possible)
earlier JL’s cane with an aluminum steering box which causes a number of different steering anomalies. There is a recall to swap it out with a cast iron one which is a big improvement

Basically it is not unfixable and is not that complicated once you get into it and see what is going on. You have to do the work though. Too many people have lost the mechanical aspect of being a mechanic and think they can plug into an OBDII port to solve every problem.

A lot if people waste money on multiple alignments thinking tgat is going to fix it. It won’t because there really isn’t much to adjust regarding an alignment compared to something with independent front suspension.

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
Do you really believe that the factory would spend a single dime on something that wasn’t needed ?
I sure fixed a lot of Jeeps over 35 years that had death wobble and a leaking or weak steering damper. At least half were low mileage and under warranty, stock and nothing else worn...
I would love to see a Jeep quadlink suspension with no damper, I’ll watch in my mirror though.
Simetimes in the course of diagnosing the cause of death wobble it is helpful to remove the steering dampener / stabilizer in order to find what the root cause of the problem is.

My 2007 JKU was prone to death wobble and had numerous causes which took a long time to chase down. In that time I learned more than I ever wanted to know about the subject.

Thankfully I have not experienced it a single time in my 2014 JKU. I did break my right hand a couple of years ago though due to the steering wheel jerking out of my hand. I subsequently searched for something to stop that from happening but there wasn’t really anything. I should have just wrecked with the bastard instead of allowing him to run me off the road.

·
Registered
04 TJ
850 Posts
Just to make clear, I understand that worn parts, tires etc can cause shaking. But the steering damper is a component that has a role in the death wobble condition. AKA as steering shake, shimmy, oscillation etc.
Chrysler he’s recalled 192,000 18-19 vehicles for just that.
And again.... I FIXED numerous Jeep death wobble conditions on low mileage, unmodified Jeeps from XJ to ZJ, basically anything with a straight axle.
Read the subject of the recall.
And no steering damper is going to keep the wheel from jerking out of your hand under the right off-road condition IMO.
Font Rectangle Parallel Document Number

·
Registered
11,866 Posts
Yes i do, i been jeeping longer then Chrysler has made a jeep. All it does is hide the real issue so just keep tossing them on.

·
Registered
2021 JL Wrangler
70 Posts
I find this funny. I functionally haven't had a steering stabilizer for over a year. I think I dented the cylinder my first time out, and it's only gotten worse since it went dry. I have had no wobble, and very little bump steer issue even on tough trails and tracks. I do only have a 3" lift and 32" tires though, so I imagine larger combinations could throw the weight around differently.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts