Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Jeep grand cherokee that the radio needs replacing the touch screen stopped working.
My question is will it need programing or some code so it will play in my 2012 JGC.
Here is the radio in question
Digital camera Camera accessory Camera Cameras & optics Rectangle
Digital camera Camera accessory Camera Cameras & optics Rectangle

·
5,846 Posts
It might need the security code, just depends on what year factory radio you replace it with I believe 2012 was the first year of the security codes. It also needs to be a low speed bus radio.

If you buy an aftermarket radio, you won't need to worry about the security code.

·
5,846 Posts
With the VIN of the donor vehicle and the serial number of the radio, a dealer can get the security code for you if the radio needs one. If the donor was another Grand Cherokee, then you have the right bus speed.

Plug it in, if it asks for a security code, then you got to get it. The codes start at 0001 and go to 6666. The radio shuts down for 30 minutes after 5 bad codes. Some people have done 4 codes and pull the power for 30 seconds, rower it up again and enter 4 mode codes and repeat until they found the right code. I don't have that much patience or time so I would nicely ask the parts guy and provide him with the info he needs so he can get me the code.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts