Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! New to this forum but super frustrated with all mechanics at this point. My car never has issues starting until it gets cold. Mornings when it is 20 and below it will not start. This started happening last winter. I got a new battery last winter but the issue still kept happening. When I insert the key everything turns on, besides the car. As soon as I connect the jumper cables the car starts right away. I had to get the car towed twice last winter, still no one car figure out what is wrong with it. Please help!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Anything happening when it won't start? Noises, no noises, turns over but doesn't start, etc. What exactly is happening?

Have you checked voltage when this happens? How about load testing when this happens? Really cold temps are hard on batteries, mine is much slower to start at those temps. I wonder if you have a battery drain issue that doesn't manifest when the temps are better but the extra strain at those cold temps just puts it over the edge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I put the keys in the ignition the door beep will come up, when I turn the key there is no sounds- no clicks or anything. The radio turns on, as well as the gauges move. I have not yet checked the voltage this time around because the same thing was happening last winter with a brand new battery installed. I got the car towed twice just because I was sick of the car not starting, as soon as it came off the tow truck it started.

·
Registered
307 Posts
There's a lot of possibilities. I'd have the battery load tested. Even new ones can be defective. I'd also have a look at the battery cables and connections. It could also be a starter on it's way out. How many miles?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This morning the car did not start again, although I was able to put the vehicle in neutral and it then started. 70k miles and it was checked out by a mechanic last winter when it kept doing the same thing- they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it :( I might just go by Advanced Auto and see if maybe they can test the battery again.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
If it started when you put it in neutral then it is the Range Selector Switch, used to be called the Neutral Safety Switch. It is a small part INSIDE the transmission and is not a cheap easy fix. It is basically the part not getting a good ground inside the transmission and not allowing the engine to start because it thinks the transmission is in gear, moving the shifter lets the pin make better contact and complete the connection. Some have said adding an extra ground from the battery to the engine helps. Battery is fine.

My problem went away when I loosened and retightened the ground strap on the engine block. I have been 5-6 years without it coming back since doing that. :tea:

·
Accidental Obfuscator
8,066 Posts
One of the best tooling investments you can make - especially living in a cold climate - is a 50.00 load tester. As the no start occurs at a certain low temperature - that's where you want to load test it. Driving it to Advance will have the underhood nice and warm, the battery nice and warm and it may pass load then - but at 20 in the morning fails. The amperage a battery delivers goes down with temperature decreases!

An old diesel mechanic taught me a trick. Load test from the starter lug instead of the battery term (shorten time of test to ~5 seconds). That tests the cable. If you have a cable end that allows moisture up the cable - it becomes ice.

However - it started in N so I don't think its the battery. Cold can effect switches, battery connections etc. - and your neutral safety switch can be on the edge - coupled with the lower delivery of a cold battery... computer sees low voltage and does not engage tip start.

·
FCA Customer Care
5,801 Posts
Hi! New to this forum but super frustrated with all mechanics at this point. My car never has issues starting until it gets cold. Mornings when it is 20 and below it will not start. This started happening last winter. I got a new battery last winter but the issue still kept happening. When I insert the key everything turns on, besides the car. As soon as I connect the jumper cables the car starts right away. I had to get the car towed twice last winter, still no one car figure out what is wrong with it. Please help!
Hey shanklinashley8,

I am sorry to hear about your recent experience with your Wrangler. I could not find any TSBs pertaining to your vehicle. Have you considered going to a certified FCA dealership for a formal diagnosis?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ryan,

Have not taken it to a dealership yet- defiantly will be my last resort considering the cost to even get it looked at. Super bummed about the car, my old P.O.S. 93 Exploder never failed to start on cold mornings.

This morning was the same issue with my Jeep- temps a little higher today 32 and it still did not start, put it in neutral and it started right up! In Virginia- waiting for this big storm to hit, just hope I can rely on my car.

·
FCA Customer Care
5,801 Posts
Ryan,

Have not taken it to a dealership yet- defiantly will be my last resort considering the cost to even get it looked at. Super bummed about the car, my old P.O.S. 93 Exploder never failed to start on cold mornings.

This morning was the same issue with my Jeep- temps a little higher today 32 and it still did not start, put it in neutral and it started right up! In Virginia- waiting for this big storm to hit, just hope I can rely on my car.
Hey shanklinashley8,

I understand your financial hesitation in taking the vehicle to a certified FCA dealership. However, I do believe that is the best way to have the vehicle diagnosed. Please private message me if you have any further questions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue in 34 degrees. Guess I should go back to Ford.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.