Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2011 5.7 Camshaft and lifters failure

386 9
Good morning,

Unfortunately my dream car 2011 Jeep with 5.7 just got camshaft and lifters teardown at 165000 miles. I just remove the camshaft and i see only one lifter ( normal one not with MDS- with MDS seems to be in good condition) is completly tear cam in that spot and at two other places there is very very delicate flaw but lifters seems ok. Few question:
1 What is causing that flaw (i know lack of lubrication) but is it maybe that original camshaft is too soft or something that we can do prevent this to happen
2 Can i replace only one bad lifter?- rest seems be in good condition ( i do not have access to Mopar parts, only aftermarket parts like DNJ brand which i dont know, so i dont know if it is good thing to replace originals that seems good to aftermarket one)
3 Is there something like reinforced camshaft or should i buy new Mopar one and it will last forever because maybe Chrysler somehow improved it
4 How to prevent teradown to not happend again
5 If using some lubricants like Militec will help to prolong life of camshaft and lifters?

I will be gratefull for any help and understanding, i am not from USA and i have got limited access to parts and fresh news because in Poland it is not the most popular vehicle due to gas consumption ( as i see now in whole country there are only 10 jeeps to buy with 5.7 from 2011-2012 year:)

Best regards
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
While you are in there, a generally accepted best practice is to replace the cam and all lifters. It's also probably a good idea to put a tune on your ECM to deactivate the MDS (cylinder deactivation) as that is frequently linked to early cam and lifter failure.

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,791 Posts
MDS has not been linked statistically to early lifter failure, they fail at the same rate but fail differently.

Reactions: bryanintowson

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,791 Posts
I’ve not heard of a lot of camshaft failure in the 5.7.
I would recommend replacing all the lifters with a new camshaft.
There have been several tons of posts here and in RAM forums. Nearly all gas RAMs are V8s.

Reactions: hanlondave95

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,791 Posts
Good morning,

Unfortunately my dream car 2011 Jeep with 5.7 just got camshaft and lifters teardown at 165000 miles. I just remove the camshaft and i see only one lifter ( normal one not with MDS- with MDS seems to be in good condition) is completly tear cam in that spot and at two other places there is very very delicate flaw but lifters seems ok. Few question:
1 What is causing that flaw (i know lack of lubrication) but is it maybe that original camshaft is too soft or something that we can do prevent this to happen
2 Can i replace only one bad lifter?- rest seems be in good condition ( i do not have access to Mopar parts, only aftermarket parts like DNJ brand which i dont know, so i dont know if it is good thing to replace originals that seems good to aftermarket one)
3 Is there something like reinforced camshaft or should i buy new Mopar one and it will last forever because maybe Chrysler somehow improved it
4 How to prevent teradown to not happend again
5 If using some lubricants like Militec will help to prolong life of camshaft and lifters?

I will be gratefull for any help and understanding, i am not from USA and i have got limited access to parts and fresh news because in Poland it is not the most popular vehicle due to gas consumption ( as i see now in whole country there are only 10 jeeps to buy with 5.7 from 2011-2012 year:)

Best regards
Tons of posts here, many with seat of the pants theories. You don't hear as many Jeeps with the issue as they have milder cams than RAMs. There have been improvements over the years, buy any one can fail. Carefully look for metal shavings in the oil as that can destroy the engine.

1) a random manufacturing defect either in the lifter or the rocker roller bearings. The only way to prevent it is to be lucky, although you will hear all kinds of theories from self proclaimed experts..
2) You could replace one, some replace all on that side. Current mopar lifters are as good as any others. They all can fail regardless.
3) Its a random failure, buy good parts and be lucky.
4) be lucky
5) no

Reactions: bryanintowson

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New lifters just came, but there are a little bit diffrent than originals. They have wholes as i marked on red in below send picture. Can i safely put them on car? Maybe thats a new improved generation of lifters or something?
Wood Cosmetics Razor Auto part Household hardware

1 - 10 of 10 Posts