Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 crd v6.

455 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  SSF556
Good day, bought t my jeep about a week ago, driven since new by an old lady, (slow driver) it smokes black and doesn't really have power, struggling to reach 140km/h. What can be the problem. I've booked it for a service to get new oil in and all filters, will this solve the problem.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Fluids and filters (especially fuel filter) never hurts, but it sounds like a clogged diesel particulate filter or seized turbo actuator. I would imagine these would throw trouble codes and a competent shop should be able to figure it out
No error codes at all, that's why I'm confused. Having the turbo checked tomorrow.
black smoke means its starving air, get jscan and an OBD2 bluetooth adapter, you'll need it anyways down the road.
Reactions: 1
Make sure there are no blockages in the air intake system.

Do the South African models have a DPF? I am thinking that they do not have emissions systems.
Thanks.
Make sure there are no blockages in the air intake system.

Do the South African models have a DPF? I am thinking that they do not have emissions systems.
What is a dpf lol
Check the turbo variable actuator if it moves. It is a common failure on these.
Watch the actuator arm while a helper turns on the ignition. It should move up/down as a self test
Thanks.

What is a dpf lol
Diesel Particulate Filter....any USA diesel built in 2007 or after had to have a DPF. Starting in 2010 most diesel vehicles got an additional system called Selective Catalyst Reduction or SCR. The SCR system relies on Diesel Exhaust Fluid to assist in the cleaning. I bet some of the newer South Africa Diesels have DPFs, not sure what year it was implemented there. The issue in SA is that it is hard to get diesel at less than 50PPM. DPFs do not like high PPM fuel.
Reactions: 1
1 - 8 of 8 Posts