Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has a 2006 Jeep Wrangler X that is stock and no lift. Currently it has 2” wheel spacers. He wants to put new tires on it and black steel wheels. If we take the spacers off, how wide of a tire can we go without them rubbing? He would like to go at least 10” wide. He wants a more aggressive look but doesn’t have the money to pay for a lift. The steel wheels are 15”, so with an all terrain tire, I feel it will look a little more aggressive.
Thoughts?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks

· Retired Staff
2004 Jeep Wrangler
76,755 Posts
31x10.50 is the largest tire an unlifted TJ can accommodate without rubbing. Even that will cause minor rubbing when the steering wheel is turned fully left or right but that's easily cured by adding a washer or two to the left and right steering bolt stops. Here's how... http://4x4xplor.com/steerstop.html

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
31x10.50 is the largest tire an unlifted TJ can accommodate without rubbing. Even that will cause minor rubbing when the steering wheel is turned fully left or right but that's easily cured by adding a washer or two to the left and right steering bolt stops. Here's how... http://4x4xplor.com/steerstop.html
Thanks Jerry. Much appreciated.

· Premium Member
10,408 Posts
Stock wheels have a 5.5" back spacing.

Your new wheels will look like spaced out with that 2" spacer. But, shouldn't need washers.

· Super Moderator
2021 Gladiator
27,450 Posts
You could run 13.50 wide tires with 3.75" backspaced wheels, but you probably won't find any 13.50 wide tires that are only 31" tall.

I'd go with 15x8 wheels with 31x10.50 tires.

15x10 wheels will make it look even wider with the tires looking a little stretched to fit the wheels if that's the look he is after.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, I would be fine with 31”x10” or 10.5” tires and the 15x8 wheels with 3.75” backspacing and no 2” spacers? I want to take off the spacers if I don’t need them. Just want to make sure the tires won’t rub.

Thank you.

· Super Moderator
2021 Gladiator
27,450 Posts
So, I would be fine with 31”x10” or 10.5” tires and the 15x8 wheels with 3.75” backspacing and no 2” spacers? I want to take off the spacers if I don’t need them. Just want to make sure the tires won’t rub.

Thank you.
Yup, you'll be good to go. Plenty of room for 31x10.50 tires without the wheel spacers.

I know you said he doesn't have money for a lift, but I'd consider adding a 1.5"-2" coil spacer lift AKA budget boost. You can get one for around $200. Then he could fit 32x11.50 tires.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup, you'll be good to go. Plenty of room for 31x10.50 tires without the wheel spacers.

I know you said he doesn't have money for a lift, but I'd consider adding a 1.5"-2" coil spacer lift AKA budget boost. You can get one for around $200. Then he could fit 32x11.50 tires.
Can you please explain what the coil spacer lift will do? Sorry, I obviously don’t know anything about this.

Thank you very much for your help.

· Super Moderator
2021 Gladiator
27,450 Posts
Can you please explain what the coil spacer lift will do? Sorry, I obviously don’t know anything about this.

Thank you very much for your help.
You put a coil spacer between the coil and the coil perch. Similar effect as adding longer springs.

Pic I borrowed from Google images, you can see the coil spacer on top:

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread Automotive exterior Coil spring

· Premium Member
10,408 Posts
It hasn't been mentioned, but you may want to be careful with larger tire diameter size. You first mentioned wider tires, then we went up to 31s, now mentioned are 32s.

Larger diameter tires not only effect speedo and odometer readings, which can be fixed, but larger tires can and do effect performance, to the point that many times regearing, $$$, in required. Especially if you have an X with 3.07 gears.

· Premium Member
10,408 Posts
By the way, while there are many pictures out there on the webernet, here's a couple of pictures of my 02 sport, with stock suspension, no lift. 31x10.5x15 AT tires, on stock 15x8 canyon wheels painted black (I've since also painted lug nuts and center button). Painting wheels could be a money saving option for your son.

Also, I have stock 3.73 gearing and a 5 speed manual, so performance issues with the little larger tires is non existent.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Plant
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

· Registered
582 Posts
I rode on 31s with 2" budget boost on my old TJ. Its a good setup for little money to get a little beyond stock performance. I recommend it if you money is the biggest factor in your decision, and you don't need 33s or bigger for whatever wheeling you do.

If money is no object, all of us on the internet can yell you how to spend it.

· Registered
337 Posts
I'll chime in and say whatever you end up with, I think eliminating the wheel spacers is a solid move. Although some people swear by them IMO it's another potential fail-point.

Also I had a TJ one time that needed washers added because the tires rubbed at full lock, slightly too wide for the stock setup. It was easy to address and didn't negatively affect the Jeep in any way.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts