Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty Sport.
I have a whining noise coming from the front area of my vehicle whenever I am accelerating/applying gas. Faint at lower speeds, but more noticeable once I hit the highway. It completely goes away once I stop applying gas. Any idea if this is a major/minor issue, what can be causing it, or how to fix??? The whining sort of sounds like the automatic paper towel dispensers in the public restrooms, but consistent. Haha

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Really need to fill in your profile to get to the point quicker. Is this a 4wd??? IF SO, Does it get worse of better in 4wd? Check all the fluids, Differentials, tcase and tranny. Also check the front driveshaft. There are CV joints on both end that can fail. Look for cracked boots. The rear one has a recessed boot that is very difficult to see and will often fail without much warning. It can make a sorts of sounds and usually causes a vibration and noise under load/acceleration.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Typically whining can be sourced to bearings of some kind but a number of things make these noises. Sometimes other noises can be heard if you have someone drive slowly along while you follow listening for other indicators like loud clunks, clicks or pops. Prop the truck up on a jack and jack stands and grab the tires and wiggle them like your trying to take it off and feel for any wobble that is what you would consider a bit much.....a tiny bit of play may be felt but if it feels excessive then you have a potential wheel bearing problem. I would also check for tightness in your wheel lugs...are they torqued? The key is to try and pinpoint the area of the problem because while driving, noises reverberate and what you think is coming from the front might actually be the back. I hope this helps a bit...good luck :cheers2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.