Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee Columbia Edition and have noticed now in it's 2nd winter with 12K miles on it the edges of the windows have started rusting and dripping onto the paint. I'm pretty anal about things like this and have checked my brothers 2002 Grand Cherokee Limited and he doesn't have this issue. Anyone else with a 2004 or similiar seen this before??

You can see behind the rubber sill I guess you would call it that the rust is just sitting on the paint which can't be good. All four windows have this issue on the left and right sides.

·
Retired back to Bowties
7,078 Posts
Chrysler, like all the vehicle companies have a rust warranty. I'd take it in and make them fix it.

·
Registered
813 Posts
have the same issue on my 2000. check with www.wjjeeps.com, and see if this possibly is covered under the 3 year/ unlimited mile corrosion warranty on the outer panels. It might be, depending on whether or not that's considered an "outer panel". I do see that bleeding over to the sheet metal, so you might have a chance.

link to PDF warranty booklet: http://www.wjjeeps.com/warranty/04_warranty_up_to_09_30_2003.pdf

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I had an XJ that saw just 2 winters in WI and the salt built up enough to bubble the paint off under the window trim :(

But my WJ is in sunny AZ and we haven't seen moisture in a record 129 days and counting, so there is NO chance for my car to rust... Oh god, please give me rain!!! :(

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SMTCapeCod said:
I've got some bubbling underneath the black layer- I suspect its corrsion. Odd place, should be air/water tight.
same here it bubbles in a few places. It's annoying cause I can't stop looking at it. I'm gonna make an appointment and see if they will fix it.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Well I bought my Jeep in Detroit and had it there for a year. My window started to rust like yours.

I have lived in CO for the last two years and the rust is completely contained. You gotta love states that don't use Salt on the roads.

·
BecauseRacecar
13,320 Posts
Ryan1341 said:
Well I bought my Jeep in Detroit and had it there for a year. My window started to rust like yours.

I have lived in CO for the last two years and the rust is completely contained. You gotta love states that don't use Salt on the roads.
What do they use? I wish Michigan did NOT use salt on the roads...

·
Registered
178 Posts
rraserfraduhg

Jeeprs02 said:
same here it bubbles in a few places. It's annoying cause I can't stop looking at it. I'm gonna make an appointment and see if they will fix it.
Most be made of the same frikin 'Fragilium' as the taillight housings and the HVAC blend doors I was just reading/learning about...borders on fraud, selling vehicles with such common & widespread defects..:drool:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yes, salt is the anti-christ for vehicles. If you've got rust there, just imagine how bad things are taking a beating underneath your ride! That's why they stress to wash your ride at least once every 7 days to fight corrosion. I have always lived in areas where they heavily salt and I'm very anal about rinsing off salt asap and have never had corrosion on any vehicle I've owned.

·
Registered
813 Posts
ArloGuthroJeep said:
Colorado uses Mag Chloride (Magnesium Chloride)...Isn't as good at salt at low temps but doesn't cause rusting nearly as bad. Is a chemical sprayed down and dries white similar to salt.
I think Maryland used that stuff a couple years back. It totally destroyed the "fake" chrome on my Lincoln. It caused the plastic coating to peel back, and then the chromish-plastic stuff to turn black. My grille looked like a cow. Several months went by before I found out that was the cause, and I was pissed. I seriously thought about going after the state for damages. I'm opposed to any kind of road treatment whatsoever. Just plow, nothing more.

·
Registered
695 Posts
BlaineWasHere said:
I don't even want them to plow:D
Did you say that last thursday?? I went up north to go snowmobiling and the roads were crazy. I wish they would use something that isnt a chemical, but just adds traction. People are just too dumb to learn to drive in the snow, so they'll keep on salting...:(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts