Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2002 Jeep WJ 4.7 V8 with 242hd which is the select track transfer case im so pulling hair out trying to find the correct info on which spicier U Joints to replace mine. i have 2 in back drive shaft and one up front then a double cardan before the tranfercase. so front to back i need five total. even two different dealers cant give me the correct info, both gave me different numbers. even auto parts stores are no help. you all know you cant trust them either. NAPA calls for three different ones????? prices from 93.00 to amazon 9.60 +..for one of them.. does anyone know for fact which spicier U Joints and the location that are used in my WJ any help will be greatly helpful to me. i have gone to many web sites and looked at drawings with # 3 yet there is no parts number for them....i even have a service manual no part number from spicier or even dana. i have like 9 pages of 4"x9" of miss information from many sites....HELP

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Reactions: fxer82

·
Premium Member
2002 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee
1,884 Posts
I thought they are all Spicer 1310 series ... That was the bet I made when I bought them from Denny's. I bought the DC kit that CDee mentioned plus two more of the 1310's ... Hope I do not need a 1330!

Note that you can do greasable or non-greasable joints. Greasable joints REQUIRE regular maintenance because they are built to allow excess grease to come out, but that design can also let water in, so you have to add grease regularly to keep them clean. Non-greasable are more tightly sealed and require no maintenance. So make your choice which sounds more your speed.

·
Registered
2002 jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rock auto have mixed up descriptions saying with select track and also the same part number exc select track ????? so im returning them monday morning . to confusing which is it with or without select track. i can't trust mistakes at my money.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I thought they are all Spicer 1310 series ... That was the bet I made when I bought them from Denny's. I bought the DC kit that CDee mentioned plus two more of the 1310's ... Hope I do not need a 1330!

Note that you can do greasable or non-greasable joints. Greasable joints REQUIRE regular maintenance because they are built to allow excess grease to come out, but that design can also let water in, so you have to add grease regularly to keep them clean. Non-greasable are more tightly sealed and require no maintenance. So make your choice which sounds more your speed.
I think it's as simple as that. They are all 1310's. rockauto lists all the applications and they all have the same cap size and cross measurement with outside snap rings. I believe they are all the same.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
The transfer case end of the 99-03 4.7 242hd equipped rear driveshaft is a 1330, not a 1310. They both have the same size caps unless you're talking Ford "BC" 1330 with larger caps. Both have 1 1/16" (1.062") caps however the trunnion is larger on the 1330, overall it is 3 5/8" wide (3.625") where overall the 1310 is 3 7/32" (3.219) wide. From what I can tell a 1330 is also used on the transmission end of 2wd 4.7 as well.

Reactions: GmanWJ

·
Premium Member
2002 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee
1,884 Posts
The transfer case end of the 99-03 4.7 242hd equipped rear driveshaft is a 1330, not a 1310. They both have the same size caps unless you're talking Ford "BC" 1330 with larger caps. Both have 1 1/16" (1.062") caps however the trunnion is larger on the 1330, overall it is 3 5/8" wide (3.625") where overall the 1310 is 3 7/32" (3.219) wide. From what I can tell a 1330 is also used on the transmission end of 2wd 4.7 as well.
Great info, thanks for that cDee, very much appreciate it. Looks like I need to get a 1330 for my planned driveshaft rebuild.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts