Very nice! I have to do this to mine. All but one of the 8 are broke on mine. By reading your thread makes me realize it was easier than I thought.
FUEL INJECTOR ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR REPLACEMENT
EV6 White Female Type A Fuel Injector Electrical Connectors (8 + 2)A while back, I noticed the valve cover gaskets were seeping oil onto the exhaust manifold. Not really an ideal situation, and I hate oil leaks. So I went to the local O'reillys and picked up a gasket kit. Read up on the procedure in the FSM ... oh lovely, I have to move the electrical harness, which means disconnecting all the fuel injectors and ignition coils. Here is what one looked like after 175k miles, and before being touched by me:
Per the service manual, pull back on the red tab to unlock the safety, then push on the black tab to disengage from the injector. Attempting this, the red tab immediately broke into pieces, and the black tab snapped off.
I decided these connectors will need to be replaced, probably all of them, so I ordered a set of 8 (+2 extra) from Jim at http://injectorrepair.com/fuel-injector-connectors/. The WJ uses the EV6 type. After speaking with Jim on the phone (which he answered on the first try, sweet), he told me he had a set of white face connectors with red locking tabs (not shown on the website), very similar to the factory style ... but NOT identical. He assured me any type of EV6 connector would work, but would probably have to replace the terminals.
The replacements arrived and I took a run at replacing the broken connector last weekend. Comparing the new to the factory terminal:
To remove the old connector, carefully pop the orange face off with a screwdriver:
Remove the rubber seal from the back side of the connector (the black plastic part just popped/broke right out/off to reveal the seal):
There are a pair of black locking tabs inside the connector that hold the terminals in place. Poke a probe in there to disengage the tab and remove the terminals:
Sadly, the gold terminals did NOT fit inside the new connectors. This means replacing the terminals. Here is what Jim sent me: a pair of terminals and seals for each connector:
Installing the new terminals means cutting off the factory terminals. I found there was enough slack in the harness to get this done.
And the finished product:
After reassembling, I am happy to report that the procedure was a complete success! She still purrs like a kitten. Rock. Now to replace the other 7. Then I can replace the valve cover gasket.