Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2 Meter / 440 HAM radio antenna mounting...have you do it?

119 3
I want to move away from my magnetic mount as the coax cable gets cut after awhile. I was thinking the NMO type through the roof 3/4" hole dead center in the roof.
Have any of you done this? What do you recommend as a base-type to use for this type of antenna?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
I want to move away from my magnetic mount as the coax cable gets cut after awhile. I was thinking the NMO type through the roof 3/4" hole dead center in the roof.
Have any of you done this? What do you recommend as a base-type to use for this type of antenna?
I had a roof mount on my Bronco years ago but never liked it since I had water leaking. On my 94 ZJ, I have installed an NMO mount with an L-bracket ahead of the driver on the body edge in between the hood and the fender. I salvaged one from a scrapyard on the cheap and is similar to this one:

Ok so the radiation pattern is not as good as a roof-mount but the install process is a lot easier and far less intrusive. If you are just using it for V/UHF, it should be adequate for coverage.

To route the coax, there is a plate cover below the brake booster on the drivers side firewall that you can punch a hole in and feed the coax through. Getting power to the radio may be an issue if you are running a lot of power. I had the dash out for other work and so I feed some heavy gauge wire from the power distribution fuse panel in the engine bay through the gap where the a/c lines come through the firewall. Otherwise maybe tap off the power to the cigarette lighter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts