Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 40 of 174 Posts

·
Have Cummins, Will tow.
16,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
finally stole the ex GFs phone and uploaded the pics here you go, sorry they quality isn't that good its from a camera phone

cut old mounts off, gotta love plasma cutters!!

all gone

well remember my engine hoist? well it wouldn't work due to bumper sticking out so far, so instead of taking bumper off, we pulled out dads F550 work truck with hoist

getting motor in place

checking for clearance

we then marked mounts, pulled motor, tacked mounts and tested motor again, mounts were to far back,

so moved them up little bit and tried again

·
Have Cummins, Will tow.
16,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
they fit so dad fully burnt them in

his welds are getting better, i dont think these are going anywhere, but just to be on safe side be are making braces this week,

that is all for now, once we make the supports i will bring the jeep home and things will fly then, also if anyone has a truck and would be kind enough to tow my jeep home that would help alot, i will give you money plus gas, i have trailer

·
Registered
838 Posts
Looks good, it's great that your father is so handy....

·
Registered
548 Posts
I got an engine harness and computer from a TJ. I'm pretty sure your old computer will not work with the new engine. I would think you need at least a TJ 4.0 manual computer.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yeah, you need to get the engine harness AND computer from a 97-99 TJ. A 2000 works, but it is for the coil rail instead of the distributor type.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I believe it will. I am putting in a 2000 motor as we speak. But it is necessary for me to use the 2000 harness and ECU too because of the coil change (Luckily mine came with it all). You can do the harness and ECU from the yj, but it will require splicing from hell, and there will be many things (like your gauges and other things) that wont work right because the run off you computer. Best thing to do is get a 97 to 99 harness.

By the way, I think my 4.0 might be a little more torquey, but thats because its a stroker. :D :D :D

·
Registered
548 Posts
Try Daveys Jeeps, Thats where I got all my swap stuff. I put a 99 into a 97. It was a plug and play deal.

·
Have Cummins, Will tow.
16,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
will the 97-99 harness work on the 95 motor/trans/case? splicing wires wont be an issue i can do that in my sleep, but if the TJ harness will make it more plug and play then ill go that route, Ive been w/o my jeep since June 4th, I'm ready to drive it again

·
Registered
548 Posts
330-337-5037

I bought a couple things from them, they have just about everything but I think they are expensive. You may want to shop around a little bit.
Some things seem expensive, some dont. I got my entire engine/tranny swap from them last year for 1200. That was wiring,computer, engine, auto trans, shifter and all cables, transfer case input shaft, and whatever else I needed. It was from a 99 with 60,000 mi. It doesn't hurt to call

·
Have Cummins, Will tow.
16,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
330-337-5037

I bought a couple things from them, they have just about everything but I think they are expensive. You may want to shop around a little bit.
thanks, noone around me has them so he has to do,

also is it just TJ comp and harness or could i use others like an XJ or ZJ

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
It would probably be easier to get a TJ harness and ECM. Should be plug and play that way.

I've never done a fuel injected engine swap using OEM harness's and ECM's.

Put an LSX engine into a 69 Camaro last year. Used Accel DFI and a painless wiring harness. Kinda like it better that way, since with the DFI if you change cams, add turbos/superchargers ect... you can program it yourself. But thats a totally different story then what you're doing.

21 - 40 of 174 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.