Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2.5-4.0 swap is underway!!

264675 173
OK so few weeks ago I blew my 2nd 4cyl, i decided i was done w/4 bangers so i shopped around and found a 6cyl/5spd trans/t-case/computer/harness for $900 i went and picked it up and started pulling the 4cyl, i don't have pics of me pulling the trans or case but here is some pics of me pulling the 4cyl, here is the link the my photo bucket account since i told my ex GF to take lots of pics, she took over 100 just of me pulling the motor, although i didn't keep all of them,

list of things needed on next page, i will update it as i go

also i know i am to skinny, but not even the Army was able to fatten me up, so deal with it

1st i had to borrow a few factory spares so it would even fit on the trailer,

nice easy unload, just lift trailer w/forklift

the start

even the now ex GF got dirty and helped out (thats my dad i cant thank him enough)

rest is just random stuff we removed, i wont lable it all

yes my dad is sitting up under the jeep

all undone

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have done this swap. If you have any questions, let me know. For the frame mounts, there are 2 part numbers per side. You will need a total of 4 part numbers for the frame mounts.
Upper left 52058865
Upper right 52058864
Reinforcement left 52058845
Reinforcement right 52058846

provelogear is correct about the fenders and grille. You can remove the whole front clip as one piece. There are 4 bolts on each side of the tub and the one front mount under the grille. You wont need to remove the radiator.

It will be easier to insatll the engine/ trans as a unit. That is how I set my frame mounts.

·
Registered
548 Posts
It is a support for the upper. You definately need them. the upper basically welds to the top of the frame. The reinforcement welds to the upper and the side of the frame. If you have any questions, I can PM my cell number to you if you want. Also you will need to get the steering shaft support that welds to the frame or carefully cut your old one off and move it.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I got an engine harness and computer from a TJ. I'm pretty sure your old computer will not work with the new engine. I would think you need at least a TJ 4.0 manual computer.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Try Daveys Jeeps, Thats where I got all my swap stuff. I put a 99 into a 97. It was a plug and play deal.

·
Registered
548 Posts
330-337-5037

I bought a couple things from them, they have just about everything but I think they are expensive. You may want to shop around a little bit.
Some things seem expensive, some dont. I got my entire engine/tranny swap from them last year for 1200. That was wiring,computer, engine, auto trans, shifter and all cables, transfer case input shaft, and whatever else I needed. It was from a 99 with 60,000 mi. It doesn't hurt to call

·
Registered
548 Posts
What harness are you using? If its a tj harness, it should just plug in and work. You may have had to change some sensors, but thats it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.