Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 16 yo daughter is wanting a Jeep and we have located a 2004 with 70k miles. I have read about the 4.0 engine but can't find much on the 2.4. What are the concerns from a longevity and durability standpoint? She will not be doing any hill climbing, pulling, etc. Thanks in advance from a concerned parent.

·
Farm Wheeler
10,047 Posts
The main problem I've seen with the 2.4L is power. It just isn't there when needed for passing, merging, hills, headwinds,... For a around town vehicle, it works fine.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
The 2.4 is not quite the tank of an engine the 2.5 or 4.0 is. Its a lighter more advanced 4 valve dual overhead cam 4 popper. Its power is smoother than the 2.5 and its a bit peppier(sp?).

Id read up on them as Im sure they like certain oils and filters etc. I do know that you want to make sure you change and maintain the timing belt every 60k IIRC

With stock sized tires the 2.4 will push a TJ fine around town and on the highway. Be prepared to downshift on steep inclines.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!!

As far as I've seen there just as dependable as the Straight six (its a straight 4 not a V4 btw) If your wiling to give up a little power its a great little engine.
Thanks for the clarification. I was going off of the Carfax that I received that listed it as 2.4L V4 FI. Maybe that's why I can't find much in other areas.

·
Registered
141 Posts
i have one and if you're not lifting it and putting big tires on the jeep it will do just fine. the only problem i have had with mine is the timing belt broke at around 90,000 miles. i figured out that the belt hadn't snapped on its own but one of the pulleys for it seized up and a shard of metal cut the belt. i am almost 100% positive the premature pulley seizing was due to me mudding my jeep in deep mud all the time, but in the owners manuel they do say something about replacing or getting it inspected at around 90,000 miles by your dealer. maybe some other owners who are over 90,000 miles can chime in and put some more input about this up.other than that they are very reliable and with 4.88 gearing and 35's i have no problem getting to 65-70-75 on the highway. but they definitely arnt very snappy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 2.4 is not quite the tank of an engine the 2.5 or 4.0 is. Its a lighter more advanced 4 valve dual overhead cam 4 popper. Its power is smoother than the 2.5 and its a bit peppier(sp?).

Id read up on them as Im sure they like certain oils and filters etc. I do know that you want to make sure you change and maintain the timing belt every 60k IIRC

With stock sized tires the 2.4 will push a TJ fine around town and on the highway. Be prepared to downshift on steep inclines.
Thanks for the comments. It's an automatic so she will be fine.

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
I don't care for the 4 bangers at all, in fact all the folks I know that has one don't like them either. They are underpowered and if you add bigger tires without regearing it will not be fun to drive. The 4 banger JEEPS weigh as much as the 6 banger JEEPS do so that means the squirrels in the 4 banger will have to work much harder than the squirrels in the 6 banger. You will NOT get any better gas mileage with the 4 than you would with the 6. It's for your girl? Get a 6 banger with an auto and you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm looking at a 2004 Jeep Wrangler with the 2.4 L all I'm wanting to have it for a daily driver and also take it to my hunting club. My hunting club doesn't have deep mud or anything just a few places I would need 4 high to go up a not so high road with ruts in the road. Will this Jeep be good for all I mentioned?

·
Disturbed Jeepaholic
42,143 Posts
My 16 yo daughter is wanting a Jeep and we have located a 2004 with 70k miles. I have read about the 4.0 engine but can't find much on the 2.4. What are the concerns from a longevity and durability standpoint? She will not be doing any hill climbing, pulling, etc. Thanks in advance from a concerned parent.
You won't have to worry about her speeding with a 2.4L auto.;)

Reactions: MarioM0one

·
Disturbed Jeepaholic
42,143 Posts
I'm looking at a 2004 Jeep Wrangler with the 2.4 L all I'm wanting to have it for a daily driver and also take it to my hunting club. My hunting club doesn't have deep mud or anything just a few places I would need 4 high to go up a not so high road with ruts in the road. Will this Jeep be good for all I mentioned?
Absolutely. My first Jeep was a 4 cylinder and it was fine for everything with tires 30" or less. I sold it with 200,000 miles on it to a neighbor. It was super reliable and great in the snow.

Reactions: JStMarie

·
Disturbed Jeepaholic
42,143 Posts
Thank you boogieman for your answer, I don't know who posted that your a jerk I don't think you are at all.
;) Thanks. His sig reads like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I don't care for the 4 bangers at all, in fact all the folks I know that has one don't like them either. They are underpowered and if you add bigger tires without regearing it will not be fun to drive. The 4 banger JEEPS weigh as much as the 6 banger JEEPS do so that means the squirrels in the 4 banger will have to work much harder than the squirrels in the 6 banger. You will NOT get any better gas mileage with the 4 than you would with the 6. It's for your girl? Get a 6 banger with an auto and you can't go wrong.
What he said^^^

Resale price alone should be an issue. Chances are that will come sooner, rather than later. As a parent, I would want my girls to be able to get out of harm's way a lot quicker than a 4 banger would allow them to. Just saying.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.