Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

1st accident. Rear ended. How to check frame and remove dent

3120 23
Hey all, I’m really bummed. This Jeep means the world to me and unfortunately not a great night for me. Cruising my Jeep out the weather is beautiful. Come to a stop at a red light waiting to turn right. About 8 seconds later.....

BAM

a teen girl my age wasn’t looking or “didnt see” me and rear ended my jeep right at the drives side rounded corner. Like dead on the license plate going about 15-20 MPH. I was leaning forward so I got slammed into the seat abit. Some minor whiplash. And was pushed into the intersection since I got flown back and off the brake and clutch pedal.

The parents are trying to scare me saying their dad was on the insurance agency for 30 years at AAA and I’m exaggerating yada ya da. No way the frame is tweaked.

The damage appears to be mostly cosmetic and i think it’s just the exhaust hanger, license plate and bumperette as well as the body panel that are jacked. The frame looks ok and it drove off just fine. They on the other hand had to get a tow truck because there wheel locked up in this “10 mph” collision

So jeep CJ:1 Toyota:0

How do I check to make sure the frame isn’t tweaked or bent and the bumper and gas tank mounts and get that huge frigin dent out. I’m so sad. This Jeep means more to me than I do IMO and it was a straight jeep. I love it to death. How do I fix it

Pictures in second post
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The damage isn’t as bad as I made it sound I guess. Still really bummed. The paint is rare and idk if I can get that dent out or frame.

Still have to say compared to the damage to her car the quarter panel and bunperette didn’t hold up to bad. As long as my frame didnt get tweaked.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1984 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade
10,304 Posts
Not that bad but take it to an alignment shop to check rear axle alignment. That will give you a perspective if frame was tweaked, which I doubt, or the suspension spring bent in any way.
You can replace rear cross member if bent and it will not effect the frame as a whole.

Back in 1985, my wife's 1984 CJ-7 got hit really hard in the rear by a Volkswagen Sirocco and drove me into the car in front of me., which I think was a Ford station wagon. Only damage sustained on her CJ-7 was rear cross member and front bumper with a small dent on front passenger fender. The Volkswagen's entire front end was demolished and the Ford station wagon driver side rear was opened up like a can opener from the Jeeps front bumper. Jeep CJ's are tough.

I feel your pain though. I'm still working, not working, on my CJ-7 that got hit last year in July from an driver who turned in front of me at a light. My frame was bent badly but you would never know it after the repairs were made.

·
Registered
10,909 Posts
Any body shop worth it's salt should be able to make your Jeep right, including a frame check.

Remember. if they are at fault, all costs and issues lay in their lap.

·
Premium Member
1,994 Posts
Did the police write up a report on the accident? If so get several copies of the report so you have it in hand.

keith & jeepdaddy are 100 percent correct. This IS NOT your fault. You want your Jeep repaired correctly.

Check with your family, friends or a local Jeep club on recommended body shops. The damage doesn't look
bad but you want the body, entire frame, rear cross-member, suspension, complete exhaust, tires, wheels, etc.
checked out.

Also get yourself checked out and keep a copy of that report. Sometimes you don't feel an injury until days later.

Good Luck with your CJ!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your advice.

I’m a little shaken. I was leaning forward when hit so I slammed against the seat. My back and neck are a little sore. Just some whiplash.
I care more about my Jeep lol.

Police did come and write a official report. I made sure not to say anything admonishing any damages or fault. Officer was nice seemed to like the jeep lol.
I just know insurance companies never wanna pay out and will understate damages or cost to fix it. I need to find a good body shop to take it too.

I need to find thag production pain I believe it was called “ice blue”. Can you believe they tried to say it was my fault and a 10 mph collision.

Thank you everyone thoigh. Sorry I over reacted abit. This Jeep is just my baby and what I have to show for the last year of my efforts.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Before you settle with her insurance company, I would delete this thread, and not post anything related to the inci "dent". When you have check in hand, then let us know how it all turned out!
Just my $.02 :)

Reactions: Tswiczko

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Before you settle with her insurance company, I would delete this thread, and not post anything related to the inci "dent". When you have check in hand, then let us know how it all turned out!
Just my $.02
Just curious I'll take your advice. But why would I want to delete it. I haven't given away any personal info and it's all advisory for me?

·
Registered
94 YctJ, 5.7 TBI 350, 8.8,4.10, D300, OIIIIIO, DD Fab Dash, CJ Tailgate, TJ Hood Hardware
341 Posts
Just my $.02
Just curious I'll take your advice. But why would I want to delete it. I haven't given away any personal info and it's all advisory for me?
Your license plate is in one of the pics...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just my $.02
Your license plate is in one of the pics...
Ah I see. It doesn't really bother me as that's what any other person driving down the road can easily see every day. But I can blur it or delete it.

And as for the frame that is not a crack actually at least I don't think it is. It's a stain of something on it. I will double check and post a closer up picture of it later today after work.

If I remove the license plate info is it bad to keep this topic open?

·
Registered
94 YctJ, 5.7 TBI 350, 8.8,4.10, D300, OIIIIIO, DD Fab Dash, CJ Tailgate, TJ Hood Hardware
341 Posts
Honestly I have no clue, just thought I’d point out it out since it seemed slightly personal.

I’ve posted pics that have my plate, it doesn’t bother me, not sure what someone could do with it... if they want my Jeep, they’ll have to come take it from me!

·
Registered
1985 Jeep CJ7
3,096 Posts
Simply blur out your plate. Most worries come from folks that can obtain personal info from them to find the whereabouts of a vehicle if they wanted it stolen.

About 2 years ago, I got rear ended at a stop light by a brand new luxury BMW. Pushed me forward about 6 feet. Nothing happened to Jeep but his front end was literally totaled; about $9000 worth if not more. I was shocked!

He was lucky I’m a nice guy, lol. Told him I simply wanted to have it checked out just in case. He gave me all false information and everything. So fake id, insurance, etc. As I look back, I can still see his sorry arse checking out his front end damage as his GF yelled at him. Still had the dealer plates!

Be thankful you were in a Jeep! They just don’t make them like they used to. BTW, take a flashlight and shine it upwards from the bottom of body. You’ll see damage if any to the body straightness; especially right behind front door at wheel front. Good Luck!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Look at your rear cross member and the one in front of the gas tank to see if they are 90 degrees to the side frames. Look under the hood at the distance between the firewall and the valve cover. When i got hit in the rear, it shoved the body close to the valve cover. I didn't notice until I had to change the heater core and couldn't get at that dam nut for the heater box.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I would have it checked out so you can have anything documented but I would be real surprised if there is any frame damage at all. Assuming they had AAA insurance I think they will take care of you. If it was some little insurance company they would probably want to total the Jeep and give you 40% of what it was worth. You might get your own insurance company in on it too.

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
Nailed in 2000---he was not paying attention

Told the cops his brakes stopped working

Changed the story when he found he would get a fine for faulty equipment.

He was at fault and a real DINGLEWAD to boot!

He also crammed me into the guy in front of me (who jumped out wanting to fight [me])

I too found that bashing my frame, was sorta like the "snatch a tablecloth trick"

My body creased at the doors, my front and rear raised slightly.

My engine remained still as the frame moved forward,

I figgered there was a problem, my clutch linkages were not the same.

Everything got repaired, I even got to keep some (I repaired a good bit)

About a week ago I was looking through some papers, I found the policeman's (ticket?) or whatever.....It had the other fellers info, residence.

In my mind, I could ...........well, never mind!

----JEEPFELLER

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you all for the advice and storries. Makes me feel better.

Here is a video link for YouTube showing a up close video of all the damages I can see from it. Not to bad but my drivers 1/4 panel is bowed in now. Hoping they can fix it.

And attached are some pictures as well.
How hard is it to straighten body panels and touch up paint in these. Not to bad id imagine?

VIDEO:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts