Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo ZJ Speedometer clear plastic cover replacement

How do I replace just the clear plastic cover over the instrument panel?

Does anyone have a part number for it? Mine's cracked.

Thanks in advance!

·
Hears the voices
16,608 Posts
It wasn't sold as a separate part AFAIK, it was just part of the cluster. You can go JY hunting for a cleaner one, but you may as well just drop in the JY cluster at that point.

Pop the fake wood pieces around the headlight and climate controls off and then remove all the screws that hold the upper dash thing in as if you were trying to yank the radio. Then there are four screws around the cluster and the cluster pulls out. The connector for the cluster is retained in a bracket, the cluster just plugs in to its slot.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It wasn't sold as a separate part AFAIK, it was just part of the cluster. You can go JY hunting for a cleaner one, but you may as well just drop in the JY cluster at that point.

Pop the fake wood pieces around the headlight and climate controls off and then remove all the screws that hold the upper dash thing in as if you were trying to yank the radio. Then there are four screws around the cluster and the cluster pulls out. The connector for the cluster is retained in a bracket, the cluster just plugs in to its slot.
I see, so I can't just replace a piece of plastic. I have to get the whole darn thing. Bad design. $65+ instead of $12.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I see, so I can't just replace a piece of plastic. I have to get the whole darn thing. Bad design. $65+ instead of $12.
its not bad, all manufacturers use that same basic cluster design (refering to assembly process, not shape and gauges). the plastic piece you want is just held with a few self tapping screws. KG6 was just saying if you are going through the trouble of removing everything to get to this plastic piece, a couple extra screws replaces the whole cluster.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its not bad, all manufacturers use that same basic cluster design (refering to assembly process, not shape and gauges). the plastic piece you want is just held with a few self tapping screws. KG6 was just saying if you are going through the trouble of removing everything to get to this plastic piece, a couple extra screws replaces the whole cluster.
its just more expensive... so i definitely can't get just the plastic cover?

do i loose my odometer/mileage count or is that held in a computer somewhere else and automatically sent to the new cluster?

·
Registered
412 Posts
mileage is held in the computer, BCM I believe. Cluster is just there to display it. I need new needles for my temp, oil, batt and fuel as they are very faded. somehow my tach and speedo needles are like brand new so I need to search the JY for some

·
Hears the voices
16,608 Posts
Yup, mileage is in the BCM.

The plastic cover was never sold as a separate piece AFAIK, you're gonna have to go hunting. Most ZJ specific parts are that way by now, if it's not shared with other vehicles it's probably discontinued.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mileage is held in the computer, BCM I believe. Cluster is just there to display it. I need new needles for my temp, oil, batt and fuel as they are very faded. somehow my tach and speedo needles are like brand new so I need to search the JY for some
new instrument panel is only like $65, why not just get that? my ZJ is still like car, pretty good condition, not really a trail jeep or workhorse, so I'm going to replace the whole cluster if I can't get a piece of plastic

·
Hears the voices
16,608 Posts
I'm seeing 04798826 claimed as the part number for the lens piece, that should be what you're after.

Where are you seeing new clusters for $65?

·
Hears the voices
16,608 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
$65 just seemed rather low to me for a complex electronic part that was only used on three years of the grand cherokee.

The lens itself is listed at $90 on sites that claim to have it: https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/p/JEEP__/LENS-Cluster/6653069/04798826.html

I'd just go pull a cluster from a junkyard.
I'm pretty sure that' is the whole "cluster" not just the plastic piece.

"#7 LENS. Cluster. . "120 MPH Primary Speedometer"+"Instrument Cluster w/Tach"."
That's why it says cluster. I could be wrong.

But it doesn't seem like the sell just the clear plastic cover. I'll go to Jeep in person to find out tomorrow.

·
Hears the voices
16,608 Posts
Yeah, it seems like it's the whole enchilada, but the diagrams show the lens as being its own piece and that part number.

Interested to see what your local stealership says.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, it seems like it's the whole enchilada, but the diagrams show the lens as being its own piece and that part number.

Interested to see what your local stealership says.
Here it does look like it's called part number 7.

7 LENS. Cluster.. LENS. 1996, 2.5L Diesel, 4.0L & 5.2L Engine, 5.9L engine.
LENS. Cluster. . "120 MPH Primary Speedometer"+"Instrument Cluster w/Tach". Required: 001
$91.94

So the part is 04798826 (I'm not currently looking at the part # that you quoted, might be the same?)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I went to the dealership today and the guy said that the instrument cluster is discontinued (already knew this) and he said that I should be able to get another peice of plastic from a junk yard or another supplier if I can find one and bolt it on. He had a slightly different diagram for the parts where the LENS (plastic cover over the speedos) is labeled as #8.

#8 is the LENS for the instrument cluster in a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 4x4 5.2L Laredo (ZJ)

photo from Jeep dealership

·
Hears the voices
16,608 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The number in the diagram doesn't mean anything unless you have the key for the diagram. The first diagram you found was for a first gen cluster. That's the same diagram that these guys show for a second gen: https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=938458&ukey_product=6653069

Which correlates to the part number you and I both found. So that widens the search, both generations share the lens piece.
ok, I also noticed the difference in the instrument panel guage layout... 1st -> 2nd generation makes sense... I'm in the middle of some other projects so I haven't clicked on all the links... or spent much time on them... so you're saying its the same part # between the first and 2nd generation? The guy at the dealership said I can just get the lense on it's own without the entire cluster module. Do you agree? Or do you think it won't detach from the instrument cluster module without breaking it or ungluing or something destructive? i.e. is it screwed in or glued in?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The number in the diagram doesn't mean anything unless you have the key for the diagram. The first diagram you found was for a first gen cluster. That's the same diagram that these guys show for a second gen: https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=938458&ukey_product=6653069

Which correlates to the part number you and I both found. So that widens the search, both generations share the lens piece.
Edit: I know... I don't care about the part number because I can get that easily... I care about if the LENS #8 does or doesn't come as a separate piece of plastic or if I have to buy the whole cluster.

The 2nd gen seemd to be about $5 cheaper, lol.

8 LENS. Cluster.. LENS. 1996, 2.5L Diesel, 4.0L & 5.2L Engine, 5.9L engine.
LENS. Cluster. . "230 KPH Primary Speedometer"+"Instrument Cluster w/Tach". Required: 001 $91.94

I wonder how much one is from a junkyard or parts car?

https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=938458&ukey_product=6653069

1 - 20 of 31 Posts