Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 1992 Jeep YJ 2.5L Manual with a strange stalling symptom. The issue occurs mostly after driving 30min to an hour and not all the time. The Jeep intermittently bogs and looses power when moving. When it happens at highway speed I can usually keep shifting in and out of gear and revving until the power comes back. When it happens at slow speed, the rpms will fall down to zero and it will shut off. I can turn it back on 30 seconds later and it runs fine again. No issues idling or starting. There is also a loud banging coming from under the rear of the car only when it happens. I replaced the fuel pump and filter thinking thats what the banging is but the issue happens with a new fuel pump also. I'm thinking the issue is not mechanical anymore since i can restart it and it runs fine. I also have no cats so it's not that. Can you guys give me a recommendation that fits these symptoms?

·
Premium Member
10,316 Posts
New plugs, wires, cap, rotor.
isopropyl drygas in gas tank
Check the manifold gasket bolts

Those are three common cures to your symptoms though not a guarantee- have you checked your codes?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My codes are:
17: Engine stays cold too long (bad thermostat)
21: Oxygen sensor signal out of range, possibly shorted

I believe the wires to my 02 sensor are cut because i have no cats behind it. Not sure if any of this contributes to the issue.

New plugs, wires, cap, rotor.
isopropyl drygas in gas tank
Check the manifold gasket bolts

Those are three common cures to your symptoms though not a guarantee- have you checked your codes?

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
A 1992 - testing my memory.
When was fuel filter last checked? Changing it seams a goood idea.
The sensor before cat was used to correct fuel mix, there was no cat monitoring in 1992 IIRC.
Check the voltage on sensor return anyway.

I know you are determined to replace the cat, doing the right thing but I suggest you get jeep running right - maybe start looking for a good price while you get jeep running good.

·
Premium Member
10,316 Posts
believe the wires to my 02 sensor are cut because i have no cats behind it. Not sure if any of this contributes to the issue.
Yes. Cat or no cat 🐈‍⬛
The O2 sensor is how it determines correct fuel delivery. It will run rich and poorly big time if no oxygen sensor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes. Cat or no cat 🐈‍⬛
The O2 sensor is how it determines correct fuel delivery. It will run rich and poorly big time if no oxygen sensor.
I'm not sure this is the cause of my issue but it's definitely an issue worth addressing then. Thanks for clarifying that. I'm going to put in a new 02 sensor and thermostat to address those two codes first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts