Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
801 - 816 of 816 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #801 ·
I put in some work into the Jeep today. I have been driving it around and it kept bogging down as I accelerated. I ended up adding some timing and now I’m at 14*. It run much better. I ended up driving it to a Jeep club meeting that I was invited to. It was roughly 45 miles one way. The issue I was having was when I got into town and then back home the Jeep would cut out as I slowed down to turn. Any ideas on the issue?

The next issue is there is something wrong with my front Diff/gearing. I am going to take the cover off this week but it is almost impossible to turn right. Well I ended up taking the front driveshaft and I had no problems turning. I’m guessing something got screwed up.

Also I was invited to join the group to Windrock, TN in March. I am looking at my schedule and logistics but there is a good chance I will go provided I fix these issues.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #802 ·
I talked to one of my Buddy’s this morning and it looks like I am going to be converting the YJ to an automatic. I had some mixed feelings about it but in the long term it is the better option.

my buddy has an AMC 400 with Chevy internals that we are going to toss in the Jeep. We will do a rebuild on the trans, install a cooler, temp gauge, auto steering column and auto pedal. He is going to order the rebuild kit and torque converter because he gets a good discount.

The goal is the have it swapped at tested by the end of February. I have a few other things I need to do as well. Such as reinstall my rear seat (I’m probably taking my kids with me); check my gears in the front axle and get new driveshafts. I’m sure more will come up but that is at least a start.

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
I put in some work into the Jeep today. I have been driving it around and it kept bogging down as I accelerated. I ended up adding some timing and now I’m at 14*. It run much better. I ended up driving it to a Jeep club meeting that I was invited to. It was roughly 45 miles one way. The issue I was having was when I got into town and then back home the Jeep would cut out as I slowed down to turn. Any ideas on the issue?

The next issue is there is something wrong with my front Diff/gearing. I am going to take the cover off this week but it is almost impossible to turn right. Well I ended up taking the front driveshaft and I had no problems turning. I’m guessing something got screwed up.

Also I was invited to join the group to Windrock, TN in March. I am looking at my schedule and logistics but there is a good chance I will go provided I fix these issues.
It sounds like it might still be in 4wd. If removing the drive shaft fixed the problem it seems that it isn't in the axle.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #804 ·
It sounds like it might still be in 4wd. If removing the drive shaft fixed the problem it seems that it isn't in the axle.
I definitely thought that might be the issue but I have checked and the transfer case is in 2wd, (i can confirm again when it is not pouring in 30* weather). I have has the issue since I had the gears done in May 2020. Unfortunately I haven't had the most amount of time to work on it. When I picked it up from the guy who did the gears and Aussie locker he said it was a bit difficult to turn (that should have been a red flag) I then flat towed the Jeep home about 50 miles. Well what I should have done is remove the front driveshaft to flat tow it. I did not do that and I feel like that might have only added to the issue. I plan on inspecting the front axle and seeing what is what. if there is no material then all I have to do it close it up and add fluid. But that will still leave me wondering why i have an issue turning (primarily turning right). I hope to have an update in the next day or so.

Besides it possibly being in 4WD do you recommend anything else to check?

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #806 ·
...I'd Crack it open to ensure that Aussie was installed correctly.

I can't believe the installer would even admit that it was sorta hard to turn now after the install. Red flag indeed.
Tomorrow will be cold but dry so I will do it then. I want to get it fixed as quickly as possible. I need to know what to do with the diff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #807 ·
Well I did some work on my Jeep today. First thing I did was open up the front diff. There is a little shimmer but they are new gears so that is expected.

Next I removed the belly skid plate. Here is where I found what seems to be my binding issue. The cv on the front of the transfer case is hitting the cross bar that is supporting the transmission. There has been a section that is grooved out now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #810 ·
Did the cross bar get bent?
Looking at that picture again it looks like the bar is bent. I have been a bit under the weather but i might have my son hop under the Jeep to take a few pictures. Also it would be very difficult to bent because my skid plate has no marks on it.

I did talk to the guy who did the work and he said i should be able to grind down some of the bar but he wanted a picture of the full bar since he couldnt quite remember how it was.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I talked to one of my Buddy’s this morning and it looks like I am going to be converting the YJ to an automatic. I had some mixed feelings about it but in the long term it is the better option.

my buddy has an AMC 400 with Chevy internals that we are going to toss in the Jeep. We will do a rebuild on the trans, install a cooler, temp gauge, auto steering column and auto pedal. He is going to order the rebuild kit and torque converter because he gets a good discount.

The goal is the have it swapped at tested by the end of February. I have a few other things I need to do as well. Such as reinstall my rear seat (I’m probably taking my kids with me); check my gears in the front axle and get new driveshafts. I’m sure more will come up but that is at least a start.
What did the AMC th400 come out of? If a quadratrac equipped jeep, the adapters to a NP231 are fairly expensive as they do not have the circular bolt pattern for the transfer case (it has a state of Texas looking shape bolt pattern). It will need a new output shaft and adapter. My 1977 CJ7 has that trans. In the early 70s, there was was TH400 with the 20 transfer case, but it was only available for a few years (3 IIRC) and rather rare.

I plan on converting my 89YJ to a auto at some point to remove the BA10 trans and because my left knee has to be surgically repaired. Thinking of finding a 999 or th350 kit.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #814 ·
What did the AMC th400 come out of? If a quadratrac equipped jeep, the adapters to a NP231 are fairly expensive as they do not have the circular bolt pattern for the transfer case (it has a state of Texas looking shape bolt pattern). It will need a new output shaft and adapter. My 1977 CJ7 has that trans. In the early 70s, there was was TH400 with the 20 transfer case, but it was only available for a few years (3 IIRC) and rather rare.

I plan on converting my 89YJ to a auto at some point to remove the BA10 trans and because my left knee has to be surgically repaired. Thinking of finding a 999 or th350 kit.
Yes the AMC th400 is from a Quadratec equipped Jeep. My buddy has a few of these transmission and he also might have a tf999 as well, if he does that is what I will probably go with. Ideally whatever automatic transmission I put in I want it to be good for any potential engine upgrades down the road. I am definitely in the research/pricing phase. Here is roughly what I am looking at for parts: Transmission rebuild kit; reverse shift kit; T-case adapter; Floor shifter (winter's probably); transmission cooler; temp gauge; build a center console; a new transmission brace (might need a new one regardless); driveshafts (Ideally would like to do a front/rear stretch so I am only getting new driveshafts once. I am sure there are other odds and ends I would need.

I did email Novak for some adapter clarification and they recommended me this link: Adapting the Turbo Hydramatic 400 Transmission to the Jeep Models 207, 231, 242, 249 & 241OR Transfer Cases (if i stick with the NP231J)

I know ultimately I will need to verify the transmissions my buddy has and see which ones are in the best condition and will work best for my application. The Jeep is not a daily driver or even a road warrior, it is a Weekender, well I would like for it to be a weekender, or at least a monthly trailer rider.

I do agree this will not necessarily be a cheap endeavor but if it is a stout transmission option then it will be what I will go with.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #815 ·
Change 4,862! As always life gets in the away of my projects and free time.

I am going to work on the few things I have waiting to be installed and address bigger issues down the road.
Install the following:
-Poison Spyder Hood Louver
-Synthetic Winch Line
-Speedo gear

I have two issues. First is starting: It is definitely a cold-blooded engine. It usually take 2 or 3 attempts to start but once it starts it roars to life, idles smoothly and will run well. I took my Jeep out for a few errands this weekend and even to take my daughter to her friend. The next issue I have is after driving for a while (40+minutes) the idle drops and will kill the engine. After driving it Saturday I got home and was reserving into my parking spot at home and the Jeep died, 3 times. It would fire right back up, I would start moving but as soon as i took my foot off the gas idle would drop and engine would die. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #816 ·
Well it has been a week and now not sure when I will have a chance to work on things. Usually in the evenings on tinker on something and then tackle larger tasks on the weekend. Well last Sunday I rolled my ankle playing kickball with all the kids. Im still not sure how it happened since I have never done this before. It shows that age does sneak up on you. Also I talked to a surgeon last week and i will be getting my gallbladder removed this week. So needless to say I will be rest a bit this week. I was hoping to go out wheeling next weekend but now that is probably be out of the question until May.

If its not one thing it is another.

801 - 816 of 816 Posts