Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
781 - 800 of 816 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
Well as usual life gets busy and I have a half-finished project in the garage. I did pick up the heater hose fitting I needed for the water pump as I ordered the hoses I needed. I should be able to pick them up this afternoon. I will probably be Sunday evening before I can do anything since I am camping with the family this weekend.

I did some recent Junkyard shopping and I found a couple of NP241OR (RockTrac) transfer cases in Rubicon Jeeps. I want to put eyes on them to make sure they are the rock trac t-cases but if they are I think I am going to pick one up. I also need to decide If I am going to swap to an automatic transmission or stick with the manual. More than likely, at least for now I am going to stick with the manual, just an old school feel for me.

Also I am in the works on designing and building a dedicated shop for me to work in. 40' wide by 25' deep with 12'ft walls (on the short sides).

Regardless more to come in the near future.
the 4:1 case would definitely be nice.

The shop sounds good too. High enough for a lift. I know my lift requires 12 1/2' so you might want to be sure it is tall enough if a lift is in your future. It is easier to address now.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #782 ·
the 4:1 case would definitely be nice.

The shop sounds good too. High enough for a lift. I know my lift requires 12 1/2' so you might want to be sure it is tall enough if a lift is in your future. It is easier to address now.
A lift is definitely is on my list of items. the 12' is where the short walls will be. The peak is close to 14' so it should be good for a lift. Ill price out 13' walls but to make sure I have enough room.

Yes a 4:1 would be very nice.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #783 ·
Time seems to always get away from me especially with all the activities my kids are doing.

I did order the Idler bracket and pulley from J&W Jeeps to replace the AC Compressor.

I need to find a radiator. I know @Louie4 did one from Advanced Auto or AutoZone. I want to try an aluminum one since my engine doesn't have as many miles and his that maybe it should be okay. Here are two options I found: Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Cooling-Aluminum-Radiator-Wrangler/dp/B0051GSDKC and Radiator Express: https://www.radiatorexpress.com/product/radiator/jeep/1990/wrangler/laredo/42l-l6/228956/1184969 Any thoughts and opinions on which radiator I should go with.

Here is where I stand with regards to a new (to me at least) transmission. I talked to the owner at onejeep.com and he has lots of used AX-15s for about $550. I told him mine is shot, 5th is gone, 4th gear is going. He told me is is stripping down a few Jeeps and would have everything I need to do the external slave swap. He did suggest that any transmission I got from him that I should do a rebuild. Well with that being said I either need to find a shop to do it because I do not have a shop press (YET) and my transmission experience is a bit limited. I talked to a local shop that can get me a rebuild/reman AX-15 trans for $1400-1500, I would still need to get a new bellhousing, and then a pre-bled slave and master kit, and a hose. Depending IF I can find a localish shop to rebuild the transmission a kit with new syncros and parts is roughly $200. I have thought about doing what @Siva283 did and get a trans from Advanced Auto with a 3ish year warranty, if i remember correctly. If I remember correctly the local shop would only have a one year warranty. The Jeep is not a daily but I don't want to have to deal with a transmission every year or two.

Finally the NP 241OR (Rubicon Transfer Case). The local yard has the 03-06 241OR transfer case with the VSS cabling and it has the newer Rock-Trac from a JK. Which version works better or is it just a speed sensor that I am worrying about. I plan to upgrade my gauges and get a gps speedo. Do I need to check with Novak to see what adapter I would need for the t-case to the AX-15? I am pretty sure @jmart2119 had this t-case in his YJ but I do not recall how he had to set things up. Also I know he has recently had some issues with the shifter slipping out of 4LO.

Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
12,680 Posts
I recommend the Autozone radiator. It performed the best given the sad state of my 4.0L which I’m 99% sure is just tired with low compression and lots of blow by.

However, I had a pretty bad experience with Autozone customer service yesterday. Worse than their typical service actually. So any new part i buy will not come from Autozone but lifetime warranty stuff is still on the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #785 ·
I recommend the Autozone radiator. It performed the best given the sad state of my 4.0L which I'm 99% sure is just tired with low compression and lots of blow by.

However, I had a pretty bad experience with Autozone customer service yesterday. Worse than their typical service actually. So any new part i buy will not come from Autozone but lifetime warranty stuff is still on the table.

Thanks I'll go with the Autozone because I thought you had said it did the best.

·
Registered
12,680 Posts
I would get the hardware before you take the other one out. I believe it’s a metric thread size and you’ll have to have the screws for the shroud. Not a big deal but getting the hardware beforehand makes it easier.

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Time seems to always get away from me especially with all the activities my kids are doing.

I did order the Idler bracket and pulley from J&W Jeeps to replace the AC Compressor.

I need to find a radiator. I know @Louie4 did one from Advanced Auto or AutoZone. I want to try an aluminum one since my engine doesn't have as many miles and his that maybe it should be okay. Here are two options I found: Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Cooling-Aluminum-Radiator-Wrangler/dp/B0051GSDKC and Radiator Express: https://www.radiatorexpress.com/product/radiator/jeep/1990/wrangler/laredo/42l-l6/228956/1184969 Any thoughts and opinions on which radiator I should go with.

Here is where I stand with regards to a new (to me at least) transmission. I talked to the owner at onejeep.com and he has lots of used AX-15s for about $550. I told him mine is shot, 5th is gone, 4th gear is going. He told me is is stripping down a few Jeeps and would have everything I need to do the external slave swap. He did suggest that any transmission I got from him that I should do a rebuild. Well with that being said I either need to find a shop to do it because I do not have a shop press (YET) and my transmission experience is a bit limited. I talked to a local shop that can get me a rebuild/reman AX-15 trans for $1400-1500, I would still need to get a new bellhousing, and then a pre-bled slave and master kit, and a hose. Depending IF I can find a localish shop to rebuild the transmission a kit with new syncros and parts is roughly $200. I have thought about doing what @Siva283 did and get a trans from Advanced Auto with a 3ish year warranty, if i remember correctly. If I remember correctly the local shop would only have a one year warranty. The Jeep is not a daily but I don't want to have to deal with a transmission every year or two.

Finally the NP 241OR (Rubicon Transfer Case). The local yard has the 03-06 241OR transfer case with the VSS cabling and it has the newer Rock-Trac from a JK. Which version works better or is it just a speed sensor that I am worrying about. I plan to upgrade my gauges and get a gps speedo. Do I need to check with Novak to see what adapter I would need for the t-case to the AX-15? I am pretty sure @jmart2119 had this t-case in his YJ but I do not recall how he had to set things up. Also I know he has recently had some issues with the shifter slipping out of 4LO.

I got my engine from AutoZone. I had a friend with a shop order it so I got a 4 year unlimited milage warranty. I bought a rebuilt transmission from dead jeeps for $700. It had a 90 day warranty. So far so good. Its got about 10,000 on it and it has done some towing it its still fine. Just took forever to get from them.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #789 ·
I got my engine from AutoZone. I had a friend with a shop order it so I got a 4 year unlimited milage warranty. I bought a rebuilt transmission from dead jeeps for $700. It had a 90 day warranty. So far so good. Its got about 10,000 on it and it has done some towing it its still fine. Just took forever to get from them.
I knew you had gotten something from Autozone. I think I am going to get a rebuilt AX-15, mostly because I am going to invest money in the transmission I would like for to have been gone through.

·
Send It!
1989 Jeep YJ Wrangler
2,236 Posts

I just have the NP241 mated to a 4L60e. So not sure if I can help you much here. I kept the VSS at the tcase because of shift points with the 4L60e. I use a GPS speedo.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #791 ·
I just have the NP241 mated to a 4L60e. So not sure if I can help you much here. I kept the VSS at the tcase because of shift points with the 4L60e. I use a GPS speedo.
I couldn't remember what transmission you had but thank you for your response.

After doing some further research a NP241OR from an 03-06 Rubicon TJ is what I need. And I do plan on switching to a GPS Speedo so that will resolve that issue as well.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #792 ·
Well Autozone cancelled my order for my radiator. Looks like I need to find another option. I did however get my AC/delete idler pulley with bracket. I'm going to flush my current radiator and see how it runs. If I have issues then I'll swap it out.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #793 ·
Well I found a bit of time to jump in the garage. I spent a good part of yesterday just cleaning up my work bench and I found some important documents and a check. Guess I need to clean up a bit more often. I also hung up a Jeep Sign I got from my brother last month.

Tonight I actually turned some wrenches and installed a few parts in the Jeep. Ideally I can get all of the cooling system reinstalled and running this week.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #795 ·
nice to hear from ya dude.

good update :thumbsup:

...keep 'em coming!
Thanks! Most of the kids sports are ending so I have some evening time again.

I did pick up some coolant but that's all that got done this evening.

I've been researching transmissions and options. I'm either upgrading to the external slave on the AX-15, and rebuilding the tranny or finding a different transmission and swapping that in. I do want to stick with a manual. And I will go ahead and do a new clutch at the same time.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #796 ·
I had some more garage time tonight. I tossed the belt, radiator, shroud and hoses back on. I did bump the key a few times just to make sure everything was clear. I'm going to burp the cooling system tomorrow and let it run. I need to get the top on it, zipped up and make room in the garage so I can reorganize and clear out a few things.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #797 ·
After installing floors all weekend and putting up Christmas lights outside I got some time to work on the Jeep. All I have to do is top off the coolant and burp the system. Well I started filling up the coolant and then I hear something pouring out, it's almost all of the coolant I just poured in. Clearly I didn't tighten down the water pump housing. This was a sign that I didn't need to work on the Jeep. I'll get back to it later this week now that I'm mostly caught up on projects.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #798 ·
I did a little bit of work on the Jeep. I pulled the fan, shroud, and water pump. I see why it was leaking, i had a little section of old gasket still on the block. I cleaned all of it off this time. I need to go by the parts store for a gasket, RTV and coolant.

Also one of my buddies is going to help me rebuild my AX-15. We both agree the synros are shot. So a refresh is due and then I will convert to the external slave cylinder as well. But that will happen after the 1st of the year. Once I get the engine back together and running I will be parking the Jeep outside for a bit while i start a refresh on my 1996 VW Jetta.

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
I did a little bit of work on the Jeep. I pulled the fan, shroud, and water pump. I see why it was leaking, i had a little section of old gasket still on the block. I cleaned all of it off this time. I need to go by the parts store for a gasket, RTV and coolant.
Don't you hate doing things twice? At least it is an easy fix.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #800 ·
Don't you hate doing things twice? At least it is an easy fix.
Yes I do. There was a house I flipped and we called it the "Do it Twice" House. We had to redo a lot of things mostly do to picky inspectors throughout the process.

It is and was an easy fix. I have it reassembled and the RTV has been curing for two days so I should be able to check all the hoses and then fill with coolant and let it run tonight.

781 - 800 of 816 Posts