Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
761 - 780 of 816 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #762 ·
@cpia84 is quarantined and basically just walking around while logged into JF refreshing like mad hoping for some live in the moment interaction :laugh:
Yeah pretty much lol. My kids are home with me but it definitely different conversations with my kids versus adults.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
Unsure what kind of heat shield you're looking for. I picked this up to shield my muffler, I have the flowmaster metal heat shield already, but the floor of the tub still gets really hot. Figured I could add this between the muffler and underside of the tub.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hsp-176001
Awesome that is what I am looking for. I definitely need something between the exhaust and the floor, and especially around the muffler. I have a flowmaster as well. I have the metal shield as well but anything else will help in my opinion. I am also considering wrapping my headers but I havent decided on that yet.
I haven't wrapped my headers yet but I have wrapped almost everything from the headers back. The routing of my new exhaust was putting a lot of heat on underside of the tub, making the floor hot, a few spots were over 130 degrees. The muffler sits under the passenger seat, so it won't bother me much, but thought my passengers may appreciate a little cooler ride

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #764 ·
I haven't wrapped my headers yet but I have wrapped almost everything from the headers back. The routing of my new exhaust was putting a lot of heat on underside of the tub, making the floor hot, a few spots were over 130 degrees. The muffler sits under the passenger seat, so it won't bother me much, but thought my passengers may appreciate a little cooler ride
Yeah there is definitely a lot of heat underneath from my exhaust as well. I'll slowly address it as I fix other issues. I know once I'm under the Jeep I'd rather do as much as I can.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #765 ·
Well attempted to paint the rear bumper today. It is the only part that I really haven't given much attention to since owning the Jeep. It had peeling paint and surface rust. I wire wheeled it and sanded a few spots. Then I cleaned it off, used the last of the primer I had. I went to grab the spray on bedliner I have used on the other bumper and rock sliders but I was out. So I decided to just grab the black. Well it was about out too. At least it's not rusty looking now

·
Moderation in Moderation
1995 YJ Wrangler SE
11,302 Posts
yup. get it's fluids some dialysis.

Always good day when you get all the fluids changing schedules aligned.

adding in a tow-rated transmission cooler (as recommended by none other than @Chrisnvegas ) along with my transmission temp gauge was a really good decision.

You should look into it... i replaced my stock transmission cooler at that time and mounted it dead center of the rad above my winch.
I will look at the transmission cooler. Can I use one on my AX-15? I was under the assumption that I couldn't use one on a manual transmission.

A few months back I talked to a transmission shop and they can get me a reman ax-15 for about $1400 and I give them my old one. I have very little experience with working on transmissions and swapping seems like the best/easiest option for me.
Obviously when I do transmission swap I will do a new clutch, flywheel but what brand is best for that?

Brain fart. Sorry.

Manuals don't really require them (depending on the context)... no torque converter which produces most of the heat for automatics.

Carry on.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #767 ·
Brain fart. Sorry.

Manuals don't really require them (depending on the context)... no torque converter which produces most of the heat for automatics.

Carry on.
It is okay. I have been doing a lot of reading and I'm considering doing an Automatic swap. Just have the gears selectable to keep a low gear when needed off-road. I just am a fan of the third pedal. We will see which route I go.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #768 ·
I drove the Jeep a bit today and actually went to the golf course. The Jeep definitely gets to 205-210 (based on the gauge) every time I drive it now. I'm not worried about that temp but I also want to do a cooling system refresh.

I read over @Louie4 's post about his cooking issues. I'm going to take a page from his book and I'm going to be ordering a few things to help the cooling system.

I'm going to get the following:
-thermostat, plus a new housing and gasket
-flow looker water pump (for the 4.2L)
-new coolant hoses
-possibly new fan clutch

I will hold off on the Radiator for the moment but if I still have issues then I'll go ahead and swap in a new one.

As for the fan I run the mechanical fan, which is what I prefer but I was inserting if anyone has any recommendations on other fans to possibly swap on that might have more fan blades?

Any other things I should be doing and look for as I do the cooling system refresh? What are the issues or concerns with having the AC compressor still installed but nothing is connected to it anymore? I basically still have it installed because I don't have a new belt yet and haven't determined how it will need to be ran before I pull it out of the Jeep.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #769 ·
Parts ordered from Summit Racing. Ill source hoses locally at the auto shops. The ordered parts should be here by the weekend so I can knock out the cooling system.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #771 ·
Let me know if you find a fix. I plan to pull my motor and pop the freeze plugs to see if they reveal anything.

Will do. Probably won't be until this weekend but who knows maybe things will show up early.

·
Premium Member
9,782 Posts
I drove to remove the rest of the AC components especially the condenser in front of the radiator. Sent from my iPhone using IcrapN'talk
Why remove it? Run fluid through that! Use higher pressure hose and efi hose clamps. Why buy when you can borrow?!! Excellent cooler already in place

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #777 ·
I didn't do much of anything on the Jeep this past weekend. But tonight however I did start on the cooling system refresh. I did notice I need to get a hose attachment for the top of the new water pump. I'll have to take a picture later to show what I'm talking about. Also I still need to get the hoses.

I do plan on cleaning up the front of the engine before reassembly.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Let the fun begin!

One thing I did differently when working on my cooling system, was actually giving the rtv enough time to cure. Sounds stupid, but I don’t think I used to give the rtv enough time to fully cure before filling it up putting the system under pressure. Doubt you’re making that mistake, I just know I was always so anxious to get the project done, that I wouldn’t wait. Now I give rtvs a full day to cure, if I can…

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #779 ·
Let the fun begin!

One thing I did differently when working on my cooling system, was actually giving the rtv enough time to cure. Sounds stupid, but I don't think I used to give the rtv enough time to fully cure before filling it up putting the system under pressure. Doubt you're making that mistake, I just know I was always so anxious to get the project done, that I wouldn't wait. Now I give rtvs a full day to cure, if I can…
I agree 100%. I used to rush to get projects done as well but that was usually when it was my primary or only vehicle and I needed the vehicle quickly. This Jeep is at the bottom on the list of daily driving duties. It is strictly my toy/project vehicle so I can wait for letting it cure. I am eager to get it rolling but I know the importance of getting things done correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #780 ·
Well as usual life gets busy and I have a half-finished project in the garage. I did pick up the heater hose fitting I needed for the water pump as I ordered the hoses I needed. I should be able to pick them up this afternoon. I will probably be Sunday evening before I can do anything since I am camping with the family this weekend.

I did some recent Junkyard shopping and I found a couple of NP241OR (RockTrac) transfer cases in Rubicon Jeeps. I want to put eyes on them to make sure they are the rock trac t-cases but if they are I think I am going to pick one up. I also need to decide If I am going to swap to an automatic transmission or stick with the manual. More than likely, at least for now I am going to stick with the manual, just an old school feel for me.

Also I am in the works on designing and building a dedicated shop for me to work in. 40' wide by 25' deep with 12'ft walls (on the short sides).

Regardless more to come in the near future.

761 - 780 of 816 Posts