Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 1989 YJ (Sahara) and the previous owner had pulled out all the wiring and most of the vacuum lines (no, not because of a nutter, just because he has the IQ of a turd). I currently have the engine at the machine shop and will be starting the rebuild soon. Can anyone tell me what the thing is I circled in yellow. Also the thing in red I just assumed was a massive copper vacuum line but they had crimped it off quite some time ago. I will be doing a nutter on it, so the next question is, do I actually need either of these? Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
'89 YJ Wrangler Sahara/Islander 5-speed 4.2L carb - I don't have the nutter, my previous owner installed a MSD ignition and desmogged everything else except the PCV valve. I have what you circles on the side of my Carter BBD carb, but it is abandoned in place and not hooked up to anything. I just did a rebuild and am not using any vacuum except brake booster and PCV.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Yep, EGR, If you do the Nutter Bypass, not needed, I actually blanked mine off with an Aluminum plate.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle

Not for any particular reason, just to clean the place up a little bit, and boredom, lol. Also plugged all the sensor holes (where old coolant passages were) with brass plugs. Just sometimes makes odd ball jobs easier. Less stuff to twist around.

I circled one brass plug and the EGR plate in blue.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hey OP, Will you be doing the Nutter Bypass or any performance stuff?

I only ask, because now would be a good time to get headers, maybe a gasket/port match on that intake, etc. If you have the time and ability. The exhaust and manifold isn't impossible to get off while in the bay, but it isn't easy either, lol. I ripped out a spare intake in the junk yard, it sucked. Hence me making more space, it isn't much. But better than nothing. And/or, a 4.0 head? Just a couple thoughts, if it were me personally.

·
Registered
19,020 Posts
If the EGR is functioning properly it won't hurt to keep it, but it can in fact be ran without it. The tube went to the exhaust manifold, if your running a header, there may not even be a provision for it. My new "stock" replacement manifold came with a threaded plug in that spot. THIS is what it would look like in uncut/crimped condition.

I would suggest going with a HEI distributor once it's all said and done, then you're not trying to re-do a bunch of stuff just to re-modify it to "Nutter" it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts