Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
981 - 999 of 999 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #981 ·
It seems the bottom on my pool is concrete, and the pools guys said it’s not the norm, I guess it surprised them when they found out. They tried to make the repairs using a drill and a tamping tool with a cutting edge on one end. They worked on it about five hours, which is about a full day for pool guys, and I can’t blame them, it’s hard work out in the sun.

Anyway, I would have to say the concrete kicked their azz…so to speak. When they were leaving I asked if they had a different stratagy planned for tomorrow, and they went off about how their supervsor wouldn’t let them rent what they needed.

I hired the largest and oldest company in the area, expecting them to have the resources to complete whatever repair work came up during this re-line job. They knew I wanted the main drain line repaired long before yesterday.

How can you be a large pool company and not own a jackhammer to bust through concrete when required?

I guess we will see how they do today. They said they would finish the drain line repair tomorrow…two days in a row, LOL

Composite material Bedrock Concrete Art Circle

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Old pool would make a nice pit area, just drive over the ramps (need installed), walk down and tinker under the belly of the beast.

Wide enough you could have a side by side pit.

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #985 ·
They cut the concrete in about 20 minutes this morning, with an electric jack hammer they rented. This was after spending about five hours yesterday making very little progress and unable to finish it. That part went well and quick today, the main drain line with twin drains are installed and ready for the liner.

I told the liner planner Rico, that my shallow end wall return lines had extensive corrosion where they attach. I told him I wanted the corroded metal removed with new galvanized metal patches to cover the corroded missing sheet metal. He said, no big deal, we fix that all the time.

Then today the pool guy tells me returns are OK, despite having extensive corrosion on the wall. He said that’s just calcium and I’ll clean it and it will be fine, I told him I wanted the corroded wall sections replaced prior to the new liner going in, no if ands or butts. Pool guy gets bent out of shape, and calls his supervisor. Supervisor calls me and says yeah, your right, that corrosion needs to be replaced.

Of course they dont have what they need on the truck…and this re-line job is going well considered the way it went 8-10 years ago…Pool guys.

Grey Circle Rectangle Concrete Natural material

Eye Road surface Asphalt Snout Circle

Bedrock Composite material Formation Concrete Gas

Water Road surface Composite material Asphalt Concrete

Slope Asphalt Composite material Rolling Skatepark
Road surface Asphalt Bedrock Slope Composite material

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #986 ·
Old pool would make a nice pit area, just drive over the ramps (need installed), walk down and tinker under the belly of the beast.

Wide enough you could have a side by side pit.
Not a bad idea, but I have a lift, and in another few weeks this pool will be worth the cost and trouble, of getting it relined. Been here about 12 years, and it seems like it’s hotter every summer.

Reactions: devildog80

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #987 ·
Let us know when the pool party is going to occur. I'll bring beer!
Sounds like a road trip…Bob you know you and anyone else on this forum is welcome anytime…Just don’t forget your bathing suit. I’ll pour you a Bourbon on the rocks, while you sip your beer.

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #988 ·
Looks like we had a little rain last night.

I‘m heading out to Boone and back to get Nick.

Im driving my sissy Jeep…lol, JK

I love this EcoDiesel JLU, it’s great for a road trip, especially with the new Alpine sound system upgrade I just installed. Now it has a 300 watt amp, subwoofer and new tweeters in the dash.

Gonna rock out today, and on the way back with Nick’s ability to play ANYTHING, I’m thinking I might go back in time to hear some “British Steel”
Property Infrastructure Water Asphalt Road surface
Ecoregion Map World Line Rectangle

…and who knows what else.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Sky

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #990 ·
LOL…that’s funny, you guys always make me laugh, and that’s s good thing.

I drove 763 miles today, 22 MPG hand calculated.

Early in the trip I passed a couple guys chugging down the road in a CJ-5. I slowed down to waive, and zipped away on my road trip. A few miles down the road I was stopped at a RED light when I saw them approaching in the left turn lane. They stopped next to me and I got to have brief conversation before the light changed.

I told them I have a -7 at home under the carport and they gave me a thumbs up. As the light changed I asked what
Mirror Automotive side-view mirror Vehicle Plant Car

Automotive lighting Font Car Vehicle Display device

Gadget Font Display device Auto part Electronic device

year or was, and I heard “75“ as we went our different directions. I tried to take a picture of it, when they were next to me, but it didn’t work…I must have pressed the wrong button on my cell.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
You zipped away and they chugged along and caught you at the next light kinda like the tortoise and the hare. That was a long day but at least Nick could drive some on the way home.

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #992 ·
Time to hit the road and go visit Mom for the day. It’s a surprise, she doesn’t know I’m coming and Nick is going too, so my Mom will be happy to see us for sure. I’ll let Nick drive home since it will be kinda late. Gotta get home and tend to the dogs tonight, my buddy Don always filled in for me before, but Don passed, that the bad part of being our in the country…not many neighbors.

Tortoise and the Hare, nice analogy Bob. It was a period correct looking 1975 CJ-5, Dark Green, so yes, you would have liked it for sure!

Ecoregion Map World Line Rectangle

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #993 ·
The pool guys finished the deep end, filling the areas where the new drains & lines went in. They replaced the corroded metal on the walls in the shallow end where the return water is fed back into the pool from the filter.

They were going to install the liner and start filling the pool with water, today, supposedly before I got home from work. Much to my surprise the liner is only partially installed, and areas are not attached at all. At first I didn’t think much of it, other than they must have more important things to do than finish installing my new liner.

I went out to the shop to work on my 8.8 rear end for a while. When I finished in the shop, I noticed a bunch of crap they left laying around was blown into the pool. the Wind was gusting pretty good, so it kinda got my attention.

These pool guys leave anything and everything laying around the perimeter of the pool, basically trashing my yard, as they do their job. Now I am wondering what was blown into the pool and made its way under the new liner. Ten years ago they left a screwdriver under the liner in the deep end, the last time my liner was replaced.

I tried to hire a quality company to work on my pool, now I am starting to wonder if there is such a thing…lol They are not impressing me at all, again.

Water Blue Hood Azure Textile
Water Blue Road surface Sleeve Asphalt

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #994 ·
I pressed the axle studs out of the axle flanges, using my new monster vice, a 3/4” 12 point deep socket and a C-clamp. The knurled studs popped out easily, now I need to make a fixture to hold a drill bushing in place so I can drill perpendicular holes in the flanges, at least that what I’m going to try and do. I need to lay out the new hole locations so I can see how much edge distance I’ll have, I know it’s going to be tight to get 5 on 5.5.

This was the first time I actually used my new fabrication table, I’m liking it so far.

I also drove the old bearing races out of the rear housing, to verify my new replacement bearings are the correct size, and fit. I’m still waiting for the LSD clutch pack to show up, so I can rebuild the LSD, and make it nice and tight.

Automotive tire Bicycle part Gear Rim Bicycle drivetrain part
Automotive tire Air gun Machine gun Trigger Bumper

Reactions: Hurricane4

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #995 ·
The pool guys were a no show today, but the weather kinda sucked, windy and off & on light rain all day. Something just doesn’t seem right about leaving the new liner half installed, blowing around in the wind, with all the loose gear and trash sitting near the edge of the pool. They didn’t call to update the progress or plan of action…I wouldn’t recommend this company to anyone, they leave little to be desired.

I spent a little time with a grinder & wire wheel in my hand today. I cleaned up the sloppy plug welds, casting flash, and rust from the 8.8 housing. I’m planning on a little more welding on the side I spliced, and then welding the tubes to the center section with some SS wire.

After the tubes are welded and everything is cleaned up, I‘ll pull the CJ-7 in and remove the AMC 20, and mock up the 8.8, so I can tack weld the spring perch mounts on each tube. Then I’ll pull it off the Jeep, and final weld them.

After it’s all welded up, I’ll wash and flush the housing inside and out, and get it super clean, so I can paint it, and put it back together.

My CJ-7 needs a little maintenance as well. I’m going to do an oil change, lube & inspect the drivelines, and rotate the tires. My spare tire mount has an annoying rattle that needs attention too. I’ll probably get the rear speakers installed, but I still need to decide what 6x9 marine speakers I’m going to buy.

Its not looking good to make the Deisel Wars drag race on the 21st…Maybe I’ll get lucky, and it gets rained out and rescheduled. Otherwise, I’ll swap the little stock tires back on my JLU EcoDiesel and run it at the race.

Water Blue Hood Sleeve Jersey
Wood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Bicycle part
Cannon Plant Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #997 ·
The wood was delivered yesterday for my new fence. Between today and tomorrow Nick and I will remove the old fence, and carry the old wood over to my burn pit.

I’ll probably burn some of it tonight, since it’s been raining and very wet outside. Its a good time to have a big fire without worrying about it spreading.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Cloud

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Love the Moffit forklift. Ran one years ago working at a Lumber Yard in CO.

Wish I had one of those around sometimes.

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #999 ·
Yeah, I was eying that forklift myself.

Back in the day I worked at Sewell Plastic’s in Havre De Grace MD.

I was a forklift operator, I drove a clamp truck most of the time. The company made 2 liter bottles that soda products are sold in. They also made gallon jugs that milk is sold in.
Wheel Forklift truck Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

Reactions: devildog80
981 - 999 of 999 Posts