Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
881 - 900 of 999 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #881 ·
I can drive all day without a speedometer and not really feel like I am missing something. When I am driving my JLU the only time I use the speedometer is when I am setting the cruise control. I guess a guy could accidentally drive too fast and get a speeding ticket because the speedometer is not accurate or in my case, my speedometer is possessed.

For the most part, I drive in the slow lane at the speed of traffic. I will change lanes to go around slower drivers, but I always get back over into the driving lane that is appropriate for my speed, which is normally the slow lane.

When I was coming back from MD the other weekend with my new piece of junk HT on my Jeep, I had a guy next to me spin the tires and try to out run me from the red light. I was not ready for it, and he got a good jump on me. He had about a half car lead on me when I realized he was trying to outrun me. I stepped on it hard with my little inline six and caught him, before passing him.

I wonder what it feels like to be outrun by an old Jeep? It always makes me feel good when I do it in my CJ-7.

I have developed a new cross check method for determining my speed. I look down at the speedometer and see it spinning. I simply estimate the RPM it is spinning, and then cross check it with the oil pressure reading. Between the two gauges, I know how fast I am going, using a little Kentucky Windage…lol

If I was really worried about it I would use the GPS speed app on my cell phone. The last time I used it I was in my boat and I was going about 65 or 66 MPH at WOT, and it was the same on my Lowrance moving map/sonar fish finder. So, I know the GPS speed app on my phone is accurate.

Bob, I wish I could take three days off and go see that game on Wednesday, but I’m still in the hole on time off from my foot surgery. What little leave I earn since then I have to use wisely. That’s why I want to go on the 30th, it’s a Saturday.

I finished welding my .375” top on my welding table project last night. I’m going to paint the underside, legs and shelf structure, before I install the wheels today. Then I will see if I can pick it up, and set it down on its wheels using my cherry picker. It weighs a lot more than I can lift, probably over 350 LBS. Nick will be home later today, I’ll probably wait until he is home so I can get him to help me flip it over onto its wheels.

When I came in from the shop last night my new T-shirt had arrived in the mail.

The Goat Kicker in the NFL got a new number.

Attachments

Reactions: bob4703

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #882 ·
I finished welding the table top support structure, to the .375” steel plate I am using for the top. I painted the structure and legs with Rust-Oleum semi gloss black. I have a few more welds to do before the welding is done. I bought 4’x8’ sheet of expanded steel, and I need to cut a section to slide on the lower shelf supports. I rolled it outside so I can grind the coating off the top of the .375” plate. It’s kinda brown looking but it’s not rust, and I had to grind all of it off anywhere I welded it. The long side edges are rough cut with a torch, I’m going to clean them up with a plasma cutter, and then a grinder/flap disc, and then it will be done, finally.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #883 ·
My plan is to store all on my cutting and grinding tools & supplies in organized boxes or plastic tubs under table on the shelf. My C-clamps, Vice-grip clamps, porting & polishing tools & supplies, all organized and stowed under the work bench top on the shelf, underneath. Hopefully this will help free up some space elsewhere, and keep things more organized. I have the big vice I bought off of CL that I will mount to it as well. Eventually I’m going build a sheet metal brake so I can fabricate a skid plate for my OEM 20 gallon plastic fuel tank.

I should have worked on this in August, but I just wasn’t into it, The weather this time of year, is much nicer for working on this type of stuff out in the shop.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #885 ·
Thanks Jeff. It’s heavy, I had to use my cherry picker to lift and rotate it onto its wheels, since I completed much of the final welds while it was upside down.

I kept away from it the best I could as I lifted it, I didn’t want to be under that .375” knife edge had it slipped and fell.

I can only imagine how heavy your monster weighed. Mine is 300+ lbs.

It is covered in dew this morning. Most of the metal has paint on it, except a few areas than need more welding, and the top surface that has a coating on it. I’ll grind the top down to smooth bare steel and oil it this afternoon before rolling it back inside for good.

I’m kinda excited to have a raised area to do my cutting, grinding and fab work. It’s hard to get down low to do stuff anymore, and then even harder getting back up…lol. I’ll be able to roll it to an open door and let the slag from cutting & grinding go out into the grass. When not needed, it can be rolled out of the way.

It took me a while to figure out how to get quality welds in the .25” and .375” metal with my little welder, I learned a lot making this table. I feel comfortable in my ability to weld in new leaf spring mounts, and the other mods required to complete my SOA YJ leaf spring conversion on my spare frame, for my build. This is a major steppingstone in moving forward.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #887 ·
You definitely built a monster Jeff, I might have built mine a little heavier, but the current cost of steel is crazy.

When I was discussing the top plate at the steel store, and I inquired on the cost of .5” plate, the owner suggested an alternative. Apparently they have a supply of .375” plate from a salvage project, so it is used. The cost was considerably less than the new .5” plate. They have the used .375” plate in two widths, and you buy the length you need. They cut it to the length with a torch. They have the plate in 6’ width, and I forget the other, it might have been 4’.

I bought a 3’ section of the 6’ wide .375” used steel plate. When the forklift driver snagged the steel off the rack and brought it over to the cutting area, the piece he had was about 20’ long. It was flexing and bouncing on the forks of the forklift, as he drove over, and then he tilted the forks and the 6’ x 20’ piece of steel fell to the ground, and flexed with a thump, as it kicked up a cloud of dust.

I thought to myself…****, that’s not going to be a flat piece of steel by the time I get it home. I had already paid for it, so I decided to roll with it.

When it was time to weld the legs & support structure to the top plate, I laid two pieces 2” x .25” angle iron on the shop floor, in an effort to create a true surface for the plate to lay on. I spaced them about 2’ apart. I figured if the plate had any warp to it, this would help to it to lay flat while I welded everything together. I think it worked out pretty good.

Yesterday I ground the slag off the long sides from the torch cuts. I also ground the coating off of the short sides, which are straight and true. I used a grinding disk to do this, and I’m going to try a flap disk next and see of it will take the coating off. I’m not sure which will be best for removing the coating. I’m going to HF later this morning to see what they have, and buy some more discs.

I’m hoping to get the top cleaned up and down to clean steel today before it start’s raining (which is in the forecast).

I rolled my cherry picker handle across the plate in several directions last night, and it seem to be pretty flat. I’ll put a straight edge on it after I get it down to clean steel.

Attachments

Reactions: NashvilleTJ

·
Premium Member
9,181 Posts
Nice table. I have a suggestion. Take something about 3" in diameter and draw a radius on each corner then cut and grind to that line. You will be glad you did when you run into one of those corners.

·
I miss the snow...
5,638 Posts
You definitely built a monster Jeff, I might have built mine a little heavier, but the current cost of steel is crazy.

When I was discussing the top plate at the steel store, and I inquired on the cost of .5" plate, the owner suggested an alternative. Apparently they have a supply of .375" plate from a salvage project, so it is used. The cost was considerably less than the new .5" plate. They have the used .375" plate in two widths, and you buy the length you need. They cut it to the length with a torch. They have the plate in 6' width, and I forget the other, it might have been 4'.

I bought a 3' section of the 6' wide .375" used steel plate. When the forklift driver snagged the steel off the rack and brought it over to the cutting area, the piece he had was about 20' long. It was flexing and bouncing on the forks of the forklift, as he drove over, and then he tilted the forks and the 6' x 20' piece of steel fell to the ground, and flexed with a thump, as it kicked up a cloud of dust.

I thought to myself…****, that's not going to be a flat piece of steel by the time I get it home. I had already paid for it, so I decided to roll with it.

When it was time to weld the legs & support structure to the top plate, I laid two pieces 2" x .25" angle iron on the shop floor, in an effort to create a true surface for the plate to lay on. I spaced them about 2' apart. I figured if the plate had any warp to it, this would help to it to lay flat while I welded everything together. I think it worked out pretty good.

Yesterday I ground the slag off the long sides from the torch cuts. I also ground the coating off of the short sides, which are straight and true. I used a grinding disk to do this, and I'm going to try a flap disk next and see of it will take the coating off. I'm not sure which will be best for removing the coating. I'm going to HF later this morning to see what they have, and buy some more discs.

I'm hoping to get the top cleaned up and down to clean steel today before it start's raining (which is in the forecast).

I rolled my cherry picker handle across the plate in several directions last night, and it seem to be pretty flat. I'll put a straight edge on it after I get it down to clean steel.
I do a lot of woodworking, so my welding table also doubles as a workbench. I built a 2" think maple top with an oak surround that drops right over the metal top.

Table Computer desk Wood Desk Wood stain

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #890 ·
That wood top is so nice…and removable for when the sparks fly. That table is a work of art, kinda like your HEMI powered Jeep.

I bought some new flap wheels and spent a couple minutes trying them out. The coating on this steel is tough. I may end up removing the coating with grinding wheels instead, it seems like it might be faster that way.

Attachments

Reactions: NashvilleTJ

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #891 ·
I went after it this afternoon with grinding disc’s, on two grinders. I rotated grinders, allowing time to cool between use, so I wouldn’t burn them up. After about 30-45 minutes I called it, and rolled the table back inside for the night. It’s gonna take a while, but I will get it down to bare steel eventually.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #892 ·
I stepped up my grinder game today. I went to the store and bought a 7” 15 amp grinder, and some grinding discs & flap discs. It took about an hour to remove the coating from the steel. I spent about a half hour polishing the steel with a flap disc. It’s not perfect but it will work for what I want to do with it. I quit when my hands started tingling. I think another half hour or so, and I’ll be happy with the results.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Looking Good! :thumbsup:

·
I miss the snow...
5,638 Posts
I stepped up my grinder game today. I went to the store and bought a 7" 15 amp grinder, and some grinding discs & flap discs. It took about an hour to remove the coating from the steel. I spent about a half hour polishing the steel with a flap disc. It's not perfect but it will work for what I want to do with it. I quit when my hands started tingling. I think another half hour or so, and I'll be happy with the results.
Any day with a new tool is a good day…

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #895 ·
The weight and torque of the new grinder allowed for more aggressive use, without more effort. I took a break periodically for me, but the grinder never seemed to be overworked, compared to the little 4” grinders. They both have their place when one works better than the other.

I have a sheet of expanded steel for the shelf I need to cut & fit before too long.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #896 ·
The weather was extremely nice today, it reminded of me of why I like a nice fall day in Eastern NC.

Temps in the high seventies, light to moderate winds, and a clear blue sky as far as the eye can see.

I hitched the boat to the Jeep and went fishing after work, I ran across the North Landing River to Corey’s ditch in Back bay. It’s my favorite place to fish for catfish & rockfish. This time of year is usually pretty good fishing for the strippers, and my hunch paid off.

Now you have to take into consideration what I’m doing this time of year. The days are getting shorter, the water is starting to cool off, and I’m not leaving the boat ramp until the day is long in the tooth, almost out too late to even consider going across the body of water I need to cross to get to the ditch. I looked at the sun sitting low, and figured I have about an hour and a half, maybe two hours before sunset. I go for it…that’s the way I roll.

Anyway, I spent about 45 minutes fishing, and brought home a couple fish. It was dark as I pulled the boat onto the trailer.

I’m going to grill some fresh Rockfish fillets soon, I love the slightly wild taste…one of my favorite fish to eat.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #897 ·
On the way back across the North Landing River last night I was heading West, almost directly into the setting sun. I got to watch the sun set into the water, later when I was in Tulls Bay. I could almost hear it sizzle as it slipped into the water.

A Coast Guard H-60 Jayhawk flew over as I crossed the river’s channel that runs North and South. They were out of AIRSTA Elizabeth City, and they seamed to be heading North up the coast. I waved as they flew by. The sun was sitting on the horizon at this time.

When I was approaching the entrance to Tulls Bay, I was cruising along about 4K RPM doing about maybe 40 MPH. The water is always rougher at the entrance to Tulls Bay, it is a form of confused sea state that is common at this location from my experience. When I looked to my right a bigger Bass Boat was passing me like I was sitting still.

I think the boat was a Gambler, at least that’s what it looked like. They have a distinct aft or stern shape to them, kind of squared off in the back. They are known as a good riding boat at high speeds. I believe it was a 21’ boat with a 250 HP sitting on the back. It was running 60-70+ MPH over the rough water, throwing a rooster tail as it disappeared into the waining light of the evening.

Later as I was approaching the entrance to Tulls Creek, I could see the rooster tail of the boat that had passed me off to the right as he was in the entrance to the Northeast River. All I could see was a rooster tail as it moved up the River to the West. He was probably heading to Bobs Fishing hole boat ramp.

My boat sits in my driveway ready to go fishing again, all it needs is gas. It was on empty last night when I got back from the ditch.

Attachments

881 - 900 of 999 Posts