Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1983 CJ7 with L6, manual transmission.

Problem: Vehicle will not crank. Heater blower motor works, Amp gauge moves as draw is applied, No headlights, blinkers front and rear work. I do not hear a click from the solenoid when the key is turned.
What I have:
New fully charged battery
I have 12 volts to the fuse block I have 12V at the starter relay (new).
Using my test light on the ignition switch when I rotate the lock to start I have 12V and have 12V at the Starter relay.
I have 12V to the coil.
I replaced the starter after I found the starter was full of mouse nest and would not spin when connected to a battery.
I wire brushed all battery connections to the starter and the relay and made sure they are bright and tight.
When I jump the starter relay with a jumper wire I can hear a click in the distributor.

Where do I look next?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE:
The headlight issued was caused by a previous owner tying in toggle witch to replace the dimmer switch. I replaced the toggle with the correct dimmer switch and now the lights work as they should, minus the blue high beam light on the dash. That is a struggle for a different day.

Still not cranking with power to the starter relay and the ignition coil. I have power to the ignition switch and momentary power when I twist the key to start.

Suggestions on where to look next? I dont want to throw parts at it! that is an expensive way to trouble shoot.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.