Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
201 - 211 of 211 Posts

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
LED lighting conversion.

Headache. At least mine has been. I have tried w/o load balancer and with. W/o works best.

"Works," in this case, is open to personal interpretation. I'm calling it a win and rolling on.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Did you get the headlight "wink" feature in the kit :)
Yesterday I had a Jeep with these type headlights behind me driving on the interstate, just after dusk (not driving Gramps), and they kept changing colors. Green, blue, red, yellow, white.....was weird, and kept me checking my rear view mirror, to see what color was next!

• Haha
Reactions: Mongo228

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
Did you get the headlight "wink" feature in the kit :)
Yesterday I had a Jeep with these type headlights behind me driving on the interstate, just after dusk (not driving Gramps), and they kept changing colors. Green, blue, red, yellow, white.....was weird, and kept me checking my rear view mirror, to see what color was next!
I've seen the RGB color shifting lights advertised. My keyboards do that, but I didn't really want that for Klooge.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
It's been pretty quiet here, so thought I'd stir the pot. Been living in a back brace for 3 months. Broke my back in December. Boo!

Shortly after rebuild, the engine developed a knock. It wasn't there when cold, only when it warmed up. Couldn't really track it down. Pulled the bottom end apart, and #3 rod end had a bit too much play in it. Pulled the cap, and the bearing half pretty much fell right out. Literally. Tipped the cap sideways, end bearing half just fell right into my hand.

Long story short, put new bearing halves in, buttoned everything up, started up the engine, and ... knock, knock, knock.

Really?

So, I applied the Moses Ludel test of pulling plugs while running to see which cylinder had the issues. Got mixed results.

./sigh

So, Mister 4x4, who's maintained all along that the issue was with the crank, is probably right.

There are no spun bearings.

There is no noticeable vertical play in the pistons/connecting rods.

There is some lateral play on most all of the rod ends, very minor.

Judge for yourselves.

·
Registered
495 Posts
When you mentioned pulling the #3 bearing cap and the bearings fell out and had uneven wear, that tells me that #3 is probably the culprit, even though it sounds like #2 is its partner in crime. I say a new crank, bearings, seals, and everything else on the bottom end is in order, since you've replaced pretty much everything else along the way.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
When you mentioned pulling the #3 bearing cap and the bearings fell out and had uneven wear, that tells me that #3 is probably the culprit, even though it sounds like #2 is its partner in crime. I say a new crank, bearings, seals, and everything else on the bottom end is in order, since you've replaced pretty much everything else along the way.
Well, I really can't argue. I am frustrated, because I measured everything I was supposed to. Mains - within spec. Rod journals - within spec (even if JUST). Everything I measured was within specified tolerances. Even piston-to-cylinder wall clearance, in spec. Ring gaps - in spec. That's why I just scratch my head, wondering WTF happened. While I was looking up into the guts of the engine, I looked over the cam ... beautiful condition.

./sigh ... must be a short between the floor and the wrench, so to speak.

On the plus side, when I pulled the plugs, they looked great! Dry, light gray-ish. No carbon/oil/fuel buildup on them! So, at least I got the valves/carb set up right. I'll take that win!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hope all is well with your back.
Just watched your vid, that noise is very similar to what I had.
, it too would only occur when Engine was warm, took forever to find. Turned out to be my valvesprings contacting the valve cover; it was only by chance I noticed the wear marks on the inside of the cover. I have the same valve cover going by what I can see in video. Took the dremel to the cover where valves were contacting. Extremely glad that was all it was!

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
@NZHK and @ranger83 thank you both for the well-wishes! The fracture itself has pretty much healed. Now, it's the chronic sciatica that just won't go away.

I'll have a look at the inside of the valve cover soon enough. It has developed a leak on the manifold side, #1 and #2 cylinders. Not a massive leak, but noticeable. Enough to make me want to redo the gasket.

Reactions: NZHK

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
Ok, so, basically ... going the Lucas stabilizer route for now. The crank was slated for replacement.

Nope.

Not happening. Stock cranks are like unicorns now. Strokers galore. Don't want a plain "used" one ... firstly, finding one in decent shape is troublesome at best. Anything I got would need machining before installation. Not risking someone else's problems in my engine. The shops around here all want 10% of your soul up front, 10% on delivery, in 8-12 weeks. Got a metro area with 4.65 million inhabitants, and this place is notoriously rough on engines. So, Lucas's it will be for the now. It's not a DD, so I'm not overly worried/concerned.

201 - 211 of 211 Posts