Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
181 - 196 of 196 Posts

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
Grats!

I'd start with the booklet that came with it (RTFM, LOL!). When we dropped the Edelbrock 1406 onto Frank, Jim started 'fiddlin' with it,' like he'd always done, and when he got it where he wanted it, it ran well enough, but still puffed a little black smoke when I goosed it and stumbled a tiny bit immediately off idle. I spent about 20 minutes reading the 'initial set-up' section, and wound up bumping up the idle to 850 (from 600-ish, where he had it), opened the air needles at the base about a half-turn each, and moved my timing vac from port to manifold. Well... you know how well it does now. Even got a "Holy ****!" out of Jim for that one. We talked about the air needles, and he admitted he thought they worked backward to what they do (so did I, until I read it, TBH). Learning occurred that day. LOL!
You know me, I would happily RTFM ... IF it HAD one!

I got a cardboard box containing a plastic-wrapped carb, the gaskets, and a shipping invoice.

That's it. No manual.

Poopstick.

Trawling through the interwebs continues ...

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
So, I got my hands on a manual of sorts; basically, a thorough step-by-step write-up on rebuilding a 2150.

In going through that mountain of info, I learned how to adjust the high idle.

I checked the carb, and from the factory, it was incorrectly set. I corrected the issue as best I could, but since it was around midnight, I didn't start the beast up. Evidently, he can be hear several houses away by certain community members. So, during lunch today, I'll see about starting him up to check the idle. We'll also see if my fix for the leak worked (re-tap the inlet).

·
Registered
1981 Jeep CJ5
658 Posts
Yep, get the big stuff done in a couple hours, and the little stuff has us twisting around for a couple days!
I feel your pain, and hope an easy button came with the carb, and you have just not found it yet? Its there somewhere.....

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
Good news is, the idle adjustment worked; high idle is around 1100 RPM.

Bad news is the leak is still there, just not as bad. Replacement carb arrives tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
Replacement carb in, and running well.

Klooge is back on the road! I don't have to mat the throttle to do 65; he cruises just fine.

He will stumble/stutter/pop if I try to get on it too aggressively before he's really warmed up. Need to research that. He's also running a touch on the rich side, about 12.5:1. Would like to get closer to 13.5:1 (compromise between power and economy).

So, I will be pulling the rest of the EFI off the engine, and just running a carb for the time being. If I should decide to go back to EFI, it will not be Howell. I could never get the system "right." It would do well enough, but just wouldn't be 100%. Mostly, it had crappy vacuum (would BARELY pull 12 psi) and issues with fuel delivery. I went through hell making sure there were no vacuum leaks; I even sacrificed my true dual exhaust in an effort to make the EFI happy.

The rebuild must have been the nail in the coffin, and Howell seemed to ignore the fact that I had rebuilt the engine, boring 20 over, going from 258 to 260 ... yes, that will change air intake characteristics. Every other time I would start the engine, the injectors would go into maximum flow. I had to go through the "flooded" reset a couple of times. Even after days of being "unplugged" from the battery, it would start roughly, idle like garbage, and the injectors would act like they were at WOT. See previous posts about tests I had performed per Howell's instructions. Some folks have had fantastic success with Howell. I was not one of them.

Stuck the carb on, plumbed it, primed it, turned the key, and he started right up.

Is he perfect? Not yet. But he damn sure runs better now.

Reactions: Mister4x4

·
Registered
1981 Jeep CJ5
658 Posts
Dave,
I found with Gramps using the 2100 when cold, I needed to adjust the choke to close a little tighter and stay closed longer. Took out the stumble/stutter/pop when cold, and drove fine, then opened fine when warmed up.
Still tweaking my high idle step, but did find that worked for my rig.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
Thanks for the tip!

I'm still figuring out the adjustments on the 2150; I'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sweet! Bummer on the Howell, though. Oh well. Looks like Dookie's engine is having his way with things.

"OK, Klooge. How about a nice HEI?" "No, Duraspark." "No... HEI!" "NO!! DUR-A-SPARK!!" "OK, okay. Duraspark it is. How about Header & True-Dual Exhaust?" "No. Stock manifold and single pipe." "No, Klooge... Header & True-Dual Exhaust! I already bought it." "NO!! MAN-I-FOLD and SINGLE PIPE!!" "Sigh... OK, Klooge. How about a nice Howell Fuel Injection system?" "No. I want my MC2100 back." No, Klooge - Fuel Injection." "NO!! CAR-BUR-AY-TOR!!" "Fine - Whatever. As long as you'll run without throwing a tantrum."

Good thing he can't talk. LOL!

Here... This will help with the voice.
Head Toy Gesture Font Art

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
Well, he's carb'd again. I'm learning some things.

• Chinese knock-off 2150s are NOT "out of the box" ready
  • They are not marked in any way, so it's all guesswork
  • At least most of the adjustments do mirror actual 2150s

He's no longer coughing/spitting going around corners.
He's not coughing/popping when you floor it under load.

He IS running rich, idling around 10:1, cruising around 12.5 (factory setting supposedly). I have no idea what size the jets are; like I said, they're not marked in any way, shape, or form. I'm guessing they're probably .049. Anyone have any ideas on jets that might lean things out to about a 13.5? Shooting for something between power and economy.

I'm pretty pleased with the routing job I did for the hard line.

Motor vehicle Auto part Electrical wiring Gas Vehicle

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
Went on a VERY short function-check run with devildog80 today. Nothing major done as I am dealing with a major bout of sciatica. I was medicated to the hilt on muscle relaxers today. I didn't take the drowsy meds ... that's coming up in about 30 minutes.

This is completely raw footage!!

klooge and the hill

puddles

• Love

·
Registered
1981 Jeep CJ5
658 Posts
Geezzz.......you need a new camera man right there!!
Should have brought my tripod........good garsh!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I was wondering if things had gone badly with all the walking early on in the first video. And exactly How Long did it take to get all the caked mud and rust removed/repaired again?! Bad Mongo! LOL!!

Congrats!! The big ol' smile says it all! Looks like you've got a good friend there to walk around and take video - nice job, Gentlemen! Very inspiring.

·
Registered
1981 Jeep CJ5
658 Posts
Yup, that dern camera guy said he knew how to work it, and looked like it was in focus......better get him some camera function schooling!

Thanks, and you know what it takes, for Dave to get his Jeep dirty. Eh?
Gold Star for me, and I am claiming it :)

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
Oh yeah... I know what it takes for Dave to get his toys dirty... pretty much just a hole with 'wet' in it. LOL!!

View attachment 4132781
Ah, the donut day. Seem to remember smoking my clutch that day, too. :p

Devildog80 did a much better job with the camera than I did.

181 - 196 of 196 Posts