Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

1980 CJ 5 Project

5K views 62 replies 10 participants last post by  WalleyeMagic 
#1 ·
Picked up this Jeep about 2 years ago locally from a craigslist ad for 1500 bucks. Frame was very bad at down sweeps above rear leafs, but I knew that when I bought it. It has a swapped 304 hooked to a 4 speed Tremac and Dana 300. It's been alot of work but hoping to have it ready by June. First day home and a good power washing. Also put the custom bumpers on that came with it.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive tire
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive side marker light

See less See more
#32 · (Edited)
Sandwiched all plates of 3/16" steel also and bolted with grade 8. Actually it's 3 layers thick on top of wheel well so it can come out where it's hooked to the 6x6 plates. Gonna do a frame tie in the back pockets also. But i need to get some kind of bushings i think so its not steel to steel. And i would like to do a front hoop and tie into dash but will wait on that till the snow flies again.
Fixture Gas Composite material Wood Metal

Wood Gas Engineering Bumper Motor vehicle

Tire Hood Automotive tire Bumper Tread

#33 ·
Got to borrow a rear seat last week and surprisingly it fit to where smaller people fit back there still. Got 80% of my roll bar mocked up now. Made some perches that mount to the dash yesterday so sitting here now planning my attack on front bars. It's been a learning as I go with tube bending but so far haven't had to trash a big piece of pipe. Ordered a matching 36" baja suspension bench seat on Friday so hopefully it's here by the end of the week. Dog will be comfy back there! Lol

#35 ·
Your work looks nice man- I’m inspired by your cleanup on the running gear!

#36 ·
Thanks man.... I have restored a quad years ago but this is my first truck project. And other than making a quad hitch or a bracket this is my first true fabrication with metal. I do have 25 years of carpentry and tile work under my belt so I'm pretty good with a grinder and fit and finish! Lol

#41 ·
Just a suggestion, you may have thought of. Have you considered some horizontals from the rear hoop to the mid hoop to let ya skid along a tree without hanging?
I can imagine some reasons you wouldn’t want to do that too, like top hardware or maybe you covered it. Just a thought as I’ve seen some trees crammed in some spots in some Jeeps…

Reactions: WalleyeMagic
#43 ·
Ahhhh-
I will be doing a family cage for my cj5 as well. Your looks nice man. I hadn’t consider access- or egress yet….

#47 ·
Been continuing to pick away at smaller things the last couple weeks. Got the front bumper changed, PO made a hoop on the pipe bumper out of exaust and it just didn't work on the grill for me. CJ have a beautiful face and shouldn't have pipe covering headlights and running lights in my opinion. Thought I was just gonna cut it of and grind welds but they were drilled in to main pipe. Ended up removing 3x3 squares and patching back in. Ended up being alot less grinding but a couple more hours i wasn't expecting. Used some 2" with 1/4" wall to rebuild with. Was a nightmare to cope them but turned out pretty good.
Automotive tire Bumper Fender Rim Cylinder

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle wheel

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Rim Carbon Exhaust system

Tire Wheel Vehicle Grille Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Gas Tints and shades Wood Concrete Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

#54 ·
Added a little more attitude to my duck. Got some lighting wire gremlins I've been chasing so I'm probably just gonna bite the bullet and put a new painless wire harness and fuse block in.
Ill be starting on my Painless install as soon as my thumb isnt too tender to hold the wires..